Home Folder/Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Folder/Drives

I have home folders setup for several hundred users in each of their profiles. A couple of months ago a couple of users started complaining that their "home drive" was showing a list of all users. I confirmed this. Example: Instead of H: mapping to \\fileserver\home\bob it was only mapping to \\fileserver\home. Once they find their folder they can access it with no problems. I have tried removing and adding the mapping in their profile, checked permissions. ANY ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by wullieb1; 17th March 2009, 23:32.

Re: Home Folder/Drives

First thing, how do you map to the folder? %username% ?

If so log in as the user and check the variable (command prompt, echo %username%)

Report back.

Hobie

Comment

Yes, i use %usersname%

To give more info....

\\Servername\users\%usersname% or to be exact...this is how it looks in profile tab in AD.....\\Servername\users\firstname.lastname

Not sure what you mean by echo %usersname% when i do that it just echo %usersname%

here is what i typed....

C:\>echo %usersname%
      %usersname%
      C:\>

Comment

try this..

command prompt
        > set

look on the list for username and tell me what it says..
        you should see username, userdomain, userprofile, etc near the bottom of the list

Hobie

Comment

is it "usersname" or "username" ??

it might just be a typo.. it should read "%username%"

Hobie

Comment

Originally posted by rizvi78 View Post
            I have home folders setup for several hundred users in each of their profiles. A couple of months ago a couple of users started complaining that their "home drive" was showing a list of all users. I confirmed this. Example: Instead of H: mapping to \\fileserver\home\bob it was only mapping to \\fileserver\home. Once they find their folder they can access it with no problems. I have tried removing and adding the mapping in their profile, checked permissions. ANY ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
            I have had the same issue before and ended up removing the existing user permissions on their home folder and then adding them back in. This resolved the issue.

Never ever managed to find out why it was happening. Also, with regards to them seeing other user accounts, make sure they can'f access those other user accounts. That shouldn't be able to.

I now setup user accounts as a hidden share. That way, no users can see other user's profiles.
            Last edited by biggles77; 18th March 2009, 03:44. Reason: Removed java in quote

Comment

It should be %USERNAME%

Sometimes the "Owner" of the folder gets either corrupted or is set as the person who created the folder. The "Owner" MUST be "Administrators" for everything to work properly. Don't ask me why, cos I don't know. It just does.

Set the "Owner" to "Administrators" and make sure you propagate that to subfolders and files. THEN see what it's like.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                It should be %USERNAME%

Sometimes the "Owner" of the folder gets either corrupted or is set as the person who created the folder. The "Owner" MUST be "Administrators" for everything to work properly. Don't ask me why, cos I don't know. It just does.

Set the "Owner" to "Administrators" and make sure you propagate that to subfolders and files. THEN see what it's like.
                It will be good to hear if that works. It will be a definitive answer to something that has baffled me.

Comment

U:\yasir.rizvi>set
                  ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
                  APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\yasir.rizvi\Application Data
                  CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
                  COMPUTERNAME=xxxxxxx
                  ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
                  FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
                  HOMEDRIVE=U:
                  HOMEPATH=\yasir.rizvi
                  HOMESHARE=\\ustnsto-fs02\UsersR-Z

Comment

Working...
                  X