Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replica of production network to test lab

Hi Experts,
    Forgive me if i my request, already been answered. Could not find it in this forum.

We currently have an AD server-windows 2003 R2.It has around 85 users now.I want to do two things.First, to make an exact replica of the server in my test environment,so that i can test different products and new stuffs in that and if its safe and satisfactory i can implement in my production environment.Actually needed to test WSUS and GP settings.I want to replicate my real server to a different hardware-Production server is an HP DL server and test will be a normal shuttle pc,just for testing stuffs.I wanted to know,what will be the best possible way to do this.Also looking for a bare metal restore option,if possible,so that i can prepare myself with a good disaster recovery plan.even if i need to restore the whole thing to a different hardware.Hope that somebody can give me a detailed instruction to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Replica of production network to test lab

Originally posted by smileheart View Post
    Hi Experts,
    Forgive me if i my request, already been answered. Could not find it in this forum.

We currently have an AD server-windows 2003 R2.It has around 85 users now.I want to do two things.First, to make an exact replica of the server in my test environment,so that i can test different products and new stuffs in that and if its safe and satisfactory i can implement in my production environment.Actually needed to test WSUS and GP settings.I want to replicate my real server to a different hardware-Production server is an HP DL server and test will be a normal shuttle pc,just for testing stuffs.I wanted to know,what will be the best possible way to do this.Also looking for a bare metal restore option,if possible,so that i can prepare myself with a good disaster recovery plan.even if i need to restore the whole thing to a different hardware.Hope that somebody can give me a detailed instruction to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance...
    I have been researching this myself. I have 5 servers I want to virtualise.

Virtual Server 2005 has a feature that allows P2V but requires the servers being rebooted.

I have decided to use a trial System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008. This allows an agent to be installed on the server and then a wizard used to perform the P2V conversion. This can be online and according to my research, shouldn't effect anything. You just need to make sure there is a reliable and good connection with the server. Windows PE can be used as an off-line method.

Comment

Working...
    X