Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help setting up a new IP address for server 2003

Hi folks

I was hoping someone could help me with an issue I have at my school.
    We recently had a new fiber optic line installed and was given a new IP address to use by the ISP for our curriculum server. This server handles our DHCP and DNS.
    I am a little confused when it comes to wether or not this will effect the DNS running on the server.

On the server.....
    I did enter the new IP address via the TCP/IP properties. The subnet mask was the same so I left that as it was, I set the server IP to xxx.xxx.xxx.5 and the gateway to xxx.xxx.xxx.1. I also changed the DNS entry to xxx.xxx.xxx.5 (same as the server IP) Should I have left this DNS entry as it was? i.e our old IP address?

I then went into the DHCP snapin and disabled the old scope and set up a new one, in order to reflect the new IP address. offering a range of xxx.xxx.xxx.50 -> xxx.xxx.xxx.254

I then rebooted all the workstations and they all picked up their new IP's fine and everything was ok. But I feel I have missed something out in regards to later reading this post. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323383 regarding DNS.

As the server is also running AD do I need to change anything with AD?
    A step by step guide ot changing your servers IP address would not go a miss, as I'm not sure if I've missed anything out.

There is more to this story but I want to get one thing out of the way before I move on to the next issue. 'sigh'

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Bladden; 12th March 2009, 00:38.

Re: need help setting up a new IP address for server 2003

Is this server facing the internet???

Is it running ISA???

More info is needed from you.

Comment

Is this server facing the internet???
      Is it running ISA???

Sorry but I don't understand what you are asking.

Comment

You may need to re-register the address of the DC in dns, if it has not already done so.

try the dcdiag command.. there should be a specific one to test the dns ...
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

As far as I can see there is no issues with the way you have done it.
          The MS article you posted refers to a situation when the DNS server changes.
          In your case only the TCP/IP configuration of the server changes. Configuring the clients with the new IP as primary DNS should be enough.
          Keep an eye on the events logged though, both system and DNS related.

Ta
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thx for the help folks.

Makes me feel a lot better about the changes I made.

Comment

Working...
            X