X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS POST logs

Hi Friends!

Greetings.

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

The POST checks by BIOS will be displayed in windows evenlogs? If no, is there any way I could get the complete steps the server had initiated, I mean the logs.

Thank You
    Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
    MCITP [AD]

Re: BIOS POST logs

Windows is not even started when the BIOS does it's POST... so no, no events appear in the logs.

I'm not sure the POST on most workstations even CREATE logs. On servers, it's usually handled by the vendor-specific system management hardware/software.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

If you have a Dell, you could use DRAC - although I don't think that creates logs.

The HP Equivalent is iLO. Again, unsure on logging.

There is also a hardware device you can buy I beleive that can interpret logs down that low..
      Don't know if they are still around any more.. remember seeing them years ago.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by mohanmathew View Post
        The POST checks by BIOS will be displayed in windows evenlogs? If no, is there any way I could get the complete steps the server had initiated, I mean the logs.
        Are you speaking of regular PC workstations/laptops or servers? As tehcamel mentioned, certain out-of-band management cards do offer event logs of the POST portion of a system's boot-up. In fact, I think just today I saw an iLO option to write certain events to the Windows event log. Don't ask me how that works. Maybe SNMP traps from what I just learned from a Google search.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Hi Folks!

Thanks for the replies.

Of course it is servers. I'm also sure the event log will start only after the Windows server kernal get loaded. But my doubt is that the POST operations are stored in any memory chips can be retrived by windows or not!!!

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
          In fact, I think just today I saw an iLO option to write certain events to the Windows event log. Don't ask me how that works. Maybe SNMP traps from what I just learned from a Google search.
          but even it can write to eventlogs, the service must be started.

Thank You
          Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
          MCITP [AD]

Comment

For getting info like this you'll need to use something similar to Dell OpenManage software.

Each supplier usually has there own and from memory OpenManage doesn't really give you alot of information.

Exactly what information are you looking for??

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post

Exactly what information are you looking for??
              One of my remote server is getting freezed at some where at POST process or may be just after to that. But no error messages or audio alerts. The screen is just blank. We need to manually poweroff an start it again.

Thank you
              Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
              MCITP [AD]

Comment

Hi,

Also Microsoft has introduced hardware management in Windows 2003 R2. I believe that continues in windows 2008 as well.

How to set it up:
                http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc781099.aspx

For more info on the MS implementation of Hardware management:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...nagement&meta=

Cheers
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi

This is excellent! This feature is only available with R2 ? So is there any shortcuts to make Windows 2003 servers to Windows 2003 R2

Thank You
                  Last edited by mohanmathew; 11th March 2009, 11:05. Reason: typo
                  Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                  MCITP [AD]

Comment

Originally posted by mohanmathew View Post
                    So is there any shortcuts to make Windows 2003 servers to Windows 2003 R2
                    Yes, have a look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912309
                    ....Not much of a shortcut though
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

So is it freezing at POST then???

If it is i would start by removing all non essential items from the system.

This would include

Secondary CPU's
                      All memory modules except for one.
                      All additional cards except for graphics if needed.

Try and get it back to the basics that will allow the server to operate, just lol.

Run the serevr like that and see how it goes.

Comment

Hi

I don't think there is any non essential items in the server. Also, if there is no memory is inserted in a slot, is it possible to switch off it from BIOS?

Thank You
                        Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                        MCITP [AD]

Comment

What doe you mean???

Is the machine booting past POST everytime you start it???

Comment

CONFUSED!

What I'm asking, is it possible to disable any ports, memory slots which are not in use? In my server there is no other components like secondary CPUs or graphic cards which are not in use.

If it is i would start by removing all non essential items from the system.

This would include

Secondary CPU's
                            All memory modules except for one.
                            All additional cards except for graphics if needed.
                            This is what you mean, rite?

Thank You
                            Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                            MCITP [AD]

Comment

It is yes and the only way to disable stuff would be in the BIOS.

Comment

Working...
                              X