NTBackup asking for tape with /UM switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTBackup asking for tape with /UM switch

I have a customer using NTBackup with their tape drives. The backup occasionally fails with no errors in the event log or the backup log. They said both the Tuesday and Wednesday backup failed. I had them manually start the scheduled backup and with the Tuesday tape they got an error message saying: Place media 'Media created 2/25/2009 at 10:00 P.M. -1' into drive or library unit.
    Computer: HOST - User: Administrator

However, the Wednesday tape worked and is currently running.

I was under the impression that using the /UM switch should make NTBackup run with whatever tape is in the drive.

I found this article and it says its a bug and to try again and links to creating an unmanaged backup. Am I to tell my customer, "tough noogies, buy something that's not free?"

Re: NTBackup asking for tape with /UM switch

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
    I have a customer using NTBackup with their tape drives. The backup occasionally fails with no errors in the event log or the backup log. They said both the Tuesday and Wednesday backup failed. I had them manually start the scheduled backup and with the Tuesday tape they got an error message saying: Place media 'Media created 2/25/2009 at 10:00 P.M. -1' into drive or library unit.
    Computer: HOST - User: Administrator

However, the Wednesday tape worked and is currently running.

I was under the impression that using the /UM switch should make NTBackup run with whatever tape is in the drive.

I found this article and it says its a bug and to try again and links to creating an unmanaged backup. Am I to tell my customer, "tough noogies, buy something that's not free?"
    Have you considered backing up to an external HDD and still using NTBACKUP? You can then use synctoy to copy that backup automatically to another location or ff-site location via a VPN depending on your internet connection.

Comment

Re: NTBackup asking for tape with /UM switch

If that was an option, I would have done it. Long story short, my predecessor botched a job for them and they refuse to use anything that isn't this tape drive, or pay money for "real" backup software.

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      Have you considered backing up to an external HDD and still using NTBACKUP? You can then use synctoy to copy that backup automatically to another location or ff-site location via a VPN depending on your internet connection.

Comment

Working...
      X