IIS website for file sharing extention handling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS website for file sharing extention handling

I set up for a friend a website in IIS, that can be used for him and his friends to upload/download files to. He is running server 2003 SP2(maybe R2). I was able to get the permissions set up correctly. However, only certain types of files could be downloaded. For example, as a test he had me download a linux ISO he put up. I got an the page not found error. I could download .exe and .txt files in the same folder. I added an entention of .iso in the mime handling and it fixed it. I added .* and it seemed to allow any file to be downloaded. I am looking for clarifcation on why I had to go through these steps, and if there is a better way to do this.

BTW, the site is secured using SSL, and a local NT group is controlling access to the folders using NT permissions.

Re: IIS website for file sharing extention handling

Are you using webdav, or FTP, or has you friend created a page with links to the software?
    MCSE 2003; MCTS Vista; Sec+; CCNA
    Attitude Makes The Difference!
    in other words you got to WANT to do it..

Comment

Re: IIS website for file sharing extention handling

Thanks for the quick reply. It is just http. We did not actually create any web pages, so when you go to his site and authenticate, you get a list of files/folders, and can download. It also allows for the folder to be opened as a webfolder for uploading if needed.

Comment

Working...
      X