Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN connection

Hi

I need to set up a vpn so an out worker can access exchange and his documents on an office network.

I have set a vpn from an xp system to the 2000 server.
    The VPN connects and sends and receives packets.
    If I go to the main site we can browse the remote pc's shared folders however from the remote PC we are unable to browse any shared resources on the main site, haven't tried to get exchange working at all.

Has anyone any idea where I've gone wrong?

thanks

Ian

Re: VPN connection

Is the XP machine a member of the domain? Have you tried connecting to the emails via OWA when connected via the VPN?

Comment

Originally posted by jenodorf View Post
      If I go to the main site we can browse the remote pc's shared folders however from the remote PC we are unable to browse any shared resources on the main site, haven't tried to get exchange working at all.
      Is this the only PC that has this problem? Are there other PCs that VPN into the network using the same Windows 2000 server as their endpoint without problems? If so, Is there any difference in OS or service pack level for those working machines?

Just to clarify, from the remote PC have you tried to access resources via NetBIOS names, FQDN names (resource.domain.TLD assuming you have AD set up at the office) as well as IP address? My first thought its that it sounds like the remote PC's routing table isn't being updated after the VPN connection is established. Check the remote PC's routing table to see if there's a proper static route.

How was the VPN set-up? By the user through the wizards? For future use, you may want to use the CMAK to create VPN connectoids so that you have greater control over the options and know a user can't bungle it up. Inept users aside, it's even a nice timesaver for an admin to simply run an installer and know you have the proper settings immediately.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks I'll try CMAK tomorrow

cheers

Ian

Comment

Hi
          still trying to get this cracked,
          set up a vpn by hand and created a connection on the remote PC which runs on pptp, this logs on but I could never access the 2000 server.

I then installed CMAK as suggested and ran that. I followed the directions which seemed to be for server 2003 and listed boxes which I didn't get on running the wizard. However it did create an executable and other files which I then ran on the remote PC.

This created a L2TP conenctions which failes to connect to the server at all.
          I'm now at a loss. Any advise appreciated or a link to an idiots guide would be good

thanks
          Ian

Comment

Hi

had a tinge of success, changed the remopte pc to the domain name and within seconds a saw a username and password box.

I then typed in a total garbage domain name and got an error saying no domain controller.

I then retyped in the correct domain name and filled in a valid user name and Password.

After 45 secs a box appears telling me "The following error......... Network path not found"

I think I've made progress but th brick wall is still there in front of me

thanks

Ian

Comment

I then installed CMAK as suggested and ran that. I followed the directions which seemed to be for server 2003 and listed boxes which I didn't get on running the wizard. However it did create an executable and other files which I then ran on the remote PC.

I've never ran the CMAK on anything other than a server machine, so I wasn't aware of any difference between running it on a server and a client OS. Is it not possible to run it from a server OS?

This created a L2TP conenctions which failes to connect to the server at all.
              Will that connectoid not work on any computer or just on that one problematic computer

Originally posted by jenodorf
              changed the remopte pc to the domain name
              I'm not clear on what you mean by this. Did you add the remote PC to the domain?

Also, did you check the remote PC's routing tables?
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                I've never ran the CMAK on anything other than a server machine, so I wasn't aware of any difference between running it on a server and a client OS. Is it not possible to run it from a server OS?

Think I may have confused both myself and you. When I ran the CMAk it created four files and an executable I assumed that these files had to copied to the remote PC - which in my case is an XP system- and the executable run to set up a connectoid.

Will that connectoid not work on any computer or just on that one problematic computer

I've tried on three PC's and none will connect/

I'm not clear on what you mean by this. Did you add the remote PC to the domain?

The remote system is on the default workgroup - called Workgroup the 2000 server is on a domain called paktec. Sp on the remote PC I changed the settings to domain paktec.

Also, did you check the remote PC's routing tables?
                IP routing is enabled but I'm not sure what you mean about the remote pc routing tables so I'll look it up tomorrow

thanks for the help

Ian

Comment

IP routing is enabled but I'm not sure what you mean about the remote pc routing tables so I'll look it up tomorrow
                  If you go to the remote PC's command prompt and type "route print" you would be looking for an entry under the "IPv4 Route Table" that tells the remote PC to route traffic bound for the remote workplace network through the proper interface.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Hi

Ran route print and in the table I see listed:

Network destination 82.71.xx.xx (which is the external IP address of the network the server is on.

Netmask: 255.255.255.255

Gateway: 192.168.1.254 ( IP address of the router the remote Xo machine is connected to)

Interface: 192.168.1.72 (Ip address of the remote xp machine)

Metric: 20

Seems alright to me but as you will gather this is my first foray into VPN

thanks

Ian

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                    If you go to the remote PC's command prompt and type "route print" you would be looking for an entry under the "IPv4 Route Table" that tells the remote PC to route traffic bound for the remote workplace network through the proper interface.
                    Last edited by jenodorf; 10th March 2009, 01:42.

Comment

Looks good to me too. I'm not sure what is causing this. I'll ponder this a little more and see what I can come up with. If anything. Also, you may want to edit out your public IP address for security reasons.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                      X