Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Server without AD

Hi,

I want to setup a Windows 2003 server to use as a terminal server for a Accounting software. They already have a Windows server with AD and everything but we are not allowed to touch that machine as it's maintained by someone else (long story).
    The plan is to setup Windows Server 2003 without AD and just have it in the workgroup and clients can have a shortcut for remote desktop to that server on their desktop. We would setup local users (user1,user2,user3...)
    How does the licensing work? We need to connect 7-8 people with Terminal server. As we don't use AD do we also need Windows user licenses or only TS licenses ?

Matt

EDIT:
    It does not matter that they already have cals to logon to their main server ?
    Last edited by roadrunner; 2nd March 2009, 21:43.

Re: Terminal Server without AD

Originally posted by roadrunner View Post
    Hi,

I want to setup a Windows 2003 server to use as a terminal server for a Accounting software. They already have a Windows server with AD and everything but we are not allowed to touch that machine as it's maintained by someone else (long story).
    The plan is to setup Windows Server 2003 without AD and just have it in the workgroup and clients can have a shortcut for remote desktop to that server on their desktop. We would setup local users (user1,user2,user3...)
    How does the licensing work? We need to connect 7-8 people with Terminal server. As we don't use AD do we also need Windows user licenses or only TS licenses ?

Matt
    You'll need to license in the usual way. AD is just a role available to w2k3 and does not require a separate license. You also need to take in to account TS licenses as well.

Comment

So that means if eg. 8 people want to connect via TS I need 10 user cals for Windows Server (5 with the OEM version and additional 5) and I need 8 TS licenses ?

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

I'm not a licensing expert myself but just know that the fact AD isn't used won't effect licensing.

This is a useful link.
        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ng/ts2003.mspx

It answers your question and looks to me you do need the server license, the 10 CALs and 8 TS licenses.

Comment

Working...
        X