Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I prevent the usage of a particular word in domain passwords?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I prevent the usage of a particular word in domain passwords?

Hello everyone.

Our users have gotten spoiled and use the word "Password1" for their domain passwords (increment number every 90 days).

Since there's no of auditing passwords is it possible to set a group policy in Server03 that prevents the user of the word "Password"?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Can I prevent the usage of a particular word in domain passwords?

The only main way is perhaps to increase the password length required, ensure the number of passwords remembered is increased and turn on 'complexity' for the password, so it has to contain numbers and letters and sets other requirements.

Also, carry out training, security trainig, make sure the AUP states what a password criteria should be and email users explaining what should be used. Assumed without saying, make sure you don't mention the fact you know password1, password2 is being used, ou don't want some staff playing around and trying to log on as others.
    Last edited by Virtual; 27th February 2009, 10:15.

Comment

virtual, thanks for the reply.

our users are the the laziest in the world or have a bad memory. If we increase the characters they might as well jump out the window.

and we do have complexity enabled, we always tell them to use a capital and a number within their password. If we tell them that they can use "Special Characters" they flip out...."OMG how can I remember an exclamation mark in the password I use"

I am going to assume there's no way then. damn.

Comment

There are a few 3rd party programs that allow you to to customize password complexity.

Google "password filter"

Comment

thank you for the tip garren. I'll see if i can find a 3rd party app.

Comment

Originally posted by ceez View Post
            our users are the the laziest in the world or have a bad memory. If we increase the characters they might as well jump out the window.
            I love it!

If you make it any more difficult they'll just write it on a sticky note and slap on the side of the computer where everyone can see it!

Comment

Working...
            X