delete folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delete folder

I have someone that has backed up their itunes to the server.
    Now there is a itunes folder with many sub folders and 60 gb of songs
    on the server. When I went to delete the folder it say's can not delete
    due to file in use. So I shut down the server and restarted and same issues.
    I booted in safe mode and same issue, can anyone tell me how to delete this folder ?

Re: delete folder

If it is a permision issue you could take ownership of the folder and then remove the folder.

If the file is actually in use the easy way to fix the problem (if you have access to the server) is to simply unplug the server (from the network) and reboot and then remove the file. It is possible some user is actually playing the songs on his remote machine so it would give you that message.

Let me know if any of these work for you,
    Hobie

Comment

I think the folder is just corupt, I know nothing is accessing the folder as I rebooted into safe mode and still could not delete. I also was able to rename the folder and move it to a different location... just can not delete it. I tried unlocker and everything ???

Comment

Which file unlocker did you try? I've used KillBox with success. Also, there's a rather drastic way to do this: Boot up on a windows CD and go into the recovery console. Delete from there. A Linux live CD could also be used but I would worry about that a bit more... for some reason I'm uncomfortable with doing that on a server. Filesystem issues and all. Or even more drastic would be to take the hard drive out and slave it to another Windows PC before deleteing. You get the idea though.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I wish Apple would think of this.

We run a loose environment and managing iTunes sucks. You can redirect the music files to a local folder but the metadata always goes to My Documents which tends to be redirected to the network.

Comment

I have had a similar experience and I used the Command prompt to delete the folder and contents. I then re-created a folder called the same name and left a Read Me in notepad specifying the AUP etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
              I then re-created a folder called the same name and left a Read Me in notepad specifying the AUP etc etc.
              That's a nice touch.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                I have had a similar experience and I used the Command prompt to delete the folder and contents. I then re-created a folder called the same name and left a Read Me in notepad specifying the AUP etc etc.
                Yes, when a file or folder cannot be deleted via Explorer, then try DOS commands (or alternatively use Notepad's file browser to browse to the parent and delete the file or folder from there).
                - Additionally, you can kill all the "explorer.exe" processes on the computer via taskmanager prior trying to delete the file or folder with the commands.
                After the file or folder is deleted then execute "explorer.exe" again via the command box.
                - Also, end all sessions to shared resources on the computer first.

If that didn't was succesfull - try an utililty like "MoveFile" or "Pocket Killbox".

And, if that wasn't susscessfull you can try an utility that can handle the deletion of files that contain reserved identifiers and shell-confusing names.
                A tool "(free/)Delete FXP Files Classic".

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                X