No announcement yet.

RAID on Server 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID on Server 2003

Hello again
    I'm planning a fresh installation of Server 2003 and want to maximise security. I understand that the ideal is to use mirroring (RAID1) for the system disk and RAID5 for the data. The server does not have onboard RAID so I'm planning to use a SATA RAID controller (e.g. Adaptec) and enclosure kit for the RAID5.
    Can anyone please advise on the RAID1? I've assumed it won't be possible to use the software RAID available in Server 2003 to mirror the system disk ? Would there be contention problems if I added a second RAID controller ?
    Thank you very much for any assistance

Pretty sure you can use the software RAID on windows 2003 but not too sure on how it will interact with the hardware controller. Software version obviouslly uses more CPU

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Thanks very much Michael
      I previously used software RAID in Server 2003 but only for mirroring data. I'd assumed the operating system could only be located on a basic disk/partition rather than a dynamic volume ?