Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External connectivity from server (Was: Urgent - Please Help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External connectivity from server (Was: Urgent - Please Help)

Hi,

We have got a very strange issue here.

To give some background :

At the weekend someone dug through our power mains and everything ended up going off and not shut down properly.

The Issue :

I have got a server that can ping external hosts but if you try and browse or ftp to them it times out, what is happening.

Please help asap.

Thanks

Paul

Re: Urgent - Please Help

Be careful with the title used for yur thread. You will find that threads with this type of title in the problem related sections will be ignored.

Can you provide more information on the equipment you are using, it's setup, network diagram, OS versions etc. , what firewalls are being used.

I know it's a little after the event, but it may be worth investing in a UPS system that will allow the servers to power off in an orderly fashion after a certain amount of time running on battery.

Comment

thanks for the advice.

nothing has changed, server is on the lan, firewall is a pix515,

all other network devices are fine

Comment

So they can FTP to the external hosts? What Server OS is it? Can the server access internet sites? Is FTP traffic alowed thorugh the server's firewall? Also, I have known sometimes, depending on your setup, that a routing rule may have been created to allow access to the FTP site. Not sure whether you have a VPNs at all. It may be the case that routing rules were setup but not setup as permanent, so when the power went off, the settings would have been lost.

Comment

Hi

No cannot FTP or Browse external hosts, but can ping external hosts.

This server has been working okay for about 1 year.

Comment

Can the server access internet sites? Also, check the settings of Internet Explorer. There are settings under the 'Advanced' tab that can set directory browsing and FTP access etc. in Internet Options.

Also, have you checked all the services on the server have started up?

Can you FTP from other computers?
            Last edited by Virtual; 23rd February 2009, 11:32.

Comment

no cannot access anything have already checked all the normal stuff.

worried it could be a nasty but shouldn't be as we are fully protected.

Comment

Check DNS settings and make sure it is still registered. Also, it may be worth checking the DNS in general. Also, sometimes servers need to be restarted in a certain order, so you need to ensure that and look at logs etc to check there is nothing ouf the ordinary compared with over the last few days.

Comment

Re: External connectivity from server (Was: Urgent - Please Help)

hi,

no everything looks to be in order.

what is strange is that it can ping out to the hostnames but cannot resolve them with a browser or ftp.

Comment

Has your server got 'Enhanced Security Configuration' Installed?

Comment

My guess is the DNS is working properly, but your router lost the configuration settings.

I would start by logging into your PIX and checking the access rules for internet port.

If you want you can copy the running config and paste it here so we can see it. You might want to edit anything you feel is "sensitive".

Hobie

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                        So they can FTP to the external hosts? What Server OS is it? Can the server access internet sites? Is FTP traffic alowed thorugh the server's firewall? Also, I have known sometimes, depending on your setup, that a routing rule may have been created to allow access to the FTP site. Not sure whether you have a VPNs at all. It may be the case that routing rules were setup but not setup as permanent, so when the power went off, the settings would have been lost.
                        I'll second that checking.

Comment

hi guys,

this is all sorted now.

i rebooted the isp router and it resolved the issue, must have had something not quite right sitting in the cache of the router.

thanks for all your advice.

Comment

Working...
                          X