Adding a Windows 2000 Server to a SBS 2003 to which AD was migrated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Windows 2000 Server to a SBS 2003 to which AD was migrated

I have a somehow difficult situation for which I'd like to hear some opinions.

I migrated AD from an existing Windows 2000 Server to SBS 2003 3 years ago, according to the following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us and based on one thread I put here. Basically the SBS 2003 rules on the network and Windows 2000 Server replicated the AD. being both Domain Controllers.

Last week the Adaptec controller on Windows 2000 Server strangely enough lost the RAID 1 array that was working since 2002, the disks (treated as individual) are not responding and I'm unable (as far as I could see) to put it back. So the best solution seems to be creating a new array doing all the Windows 2000 Server setup and joining it to the domain again- I need this because it has some older applications that I would like to keep it there.

I found out the following article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc707928.aspx to guide me through but I don't know either if is possible or if there are going to be some problems since 2000 Server was on the domain and it "is" still there (eg the SBS continues to replicate AD to it) because I couldn't remove it from the domain, for obvious reasons.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Re: Adding a Windows 2000 Server to a SBS 2003 to which AD was migrated

When I said share your thoughts, I wanted to say please give me your opinion as I need them.

Thanks.

Comment

Is the 2000 machine just a DC? Are all FSMO roles and GC, DHCP and DNS on the SBS box? I would have thought you were best reinstalling the 2000 machine. Whilt reinstalling. clean the metadata out of AD, remove the DNS entries for it, if still present and then check AD Sites and Services. You should then be able to join your reinstalled 2000 server to the network and make it a DC once again.

Comment

Yes, all FSMO roles are on SBS. When you say that reinstall clean the metadata, you mean on 2000 Server?
        In order to join the network must I check AD Sites and Services first on SBS and then add it as a member server on the SBS Server?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by duplo_c View Post
          Yes, all FSMO roles are on SBS. When you say that reinstall clean the metadata, you mean on 2000 Server?
          In order to join the network must I check AD Sites and Services first on SBS and then add it as a member server on the SBS Server?

Thanks.
          Treat it like a failed DC. All of the below to be performed on the SBS box whilst you reinstall the 2000 DC and then join it to the SBS domain once again.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc736378.aspx

Make sure you backup SBS before doing so.

Comment

Working...
          X