Moving dhcp both MS 2003 servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving dhcp both MS 2003 servers

I had one DC (Standard 2003 32 bit) server. I have created new DC 2003 64 bit R2 Standard new DC. I have changed all 5 operation managers onto new DC. DNS was installed on new DC (DNS servce on the first DC functions well). On the old one, I have backed up the dhcpdatabase file, moved to the new DC, restored dhcp database, restart, refresh and authorise new DHCP on the new DC. On the old DC dhcp is stopped. I have one PC to test and I have tried ipconfig /renew (dynamic ip address).Unfortunately, PC did not get a new IP address. The log file gave messages about start of service and even it detected a rogue dhcp sever. I disabled on the old DC dhcp service, and that was OK. However, still it did not record any IP address lease or communication such ACK or NACK. Scope on dhcp was changed in that name and dns server were updated to reflect dns on a new DC. Still, my PC have not acquired the new ip address neither dhcp log record any interaction apart of start and stop of the dhcp service.I do not know what to do? I susspect that something has to do with permissions?

Re: Moving dhcp both MS 2003 servers

I have a but of a mind block and can't remember the term, but have you authorised the DHCP in AD?

Comment

Have you tried Reconciling it?: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc779267.aspx
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Yes, I have authorised it, reconcilled and even activate the required scopes.

Comment

I never move a DHCP scope by copying the DB across.

Try creating a new DHCP scope and deleting the DB you've tx'd.

Comment

And if you are worried about the same IP address being allocated to multiple hosts during the transition, set the 'Conflict Detection Attempts' to 2 or 3. This is set on the advanced tab of the DHCP server's node Properties.

Comment

What I did is that I stoped first dhcp, move backup direcory to new DC and then restore, edit scope to reflect new time, dns and name server (new DC) than I have authorized that server, restart, reconcile, refresh, deactivate and reacativate.

My PC is changed from IP static to dynamic. DNS is put to be the new DC, and old dc as well. Renew and 0.0.0.0 then 168.254.100.104 (not so sure about exact adress) was result.

Do I have to wait let say more than 5 mimutes that it takes effects?

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                I never move a DHCP scope by copying the DB across.

Try creating a new DHCP scope and deleting the DB you've tx'd.
                Not sure with regards to your question but I second wullieb1 with his suggestion of re-creating it. My post above his then advises you further.

Comment

I can't see anything wrong with moving a DHCP database across to a new location as long as it's done properly with the Netsh command as per this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325473/
                  That'll just speed the process up.
                  However, not sure if a Cross-platform (x86 -x64) move will cause any problems!

@ OP
                  How did you move the database across and did you receive any errors at all?

However in some cases, might be easier and quicker to setup DHCP from scratch rather than troubleshoot as willieb1 and Virtual are suggesting.

Cheers
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I agree that in theory there's nothing wrong with migrating a DHCP db from one host to another if you're migrating the role etc.
                    However if you're doing it on a DC then there are a few things to look out for as I discovered last year.

I believe the MS article mention states that you have to restart the DC into AD restore mode as you have to use the local admin account for the import. Obviously the only local admin account on a DC is the AD restore one ..... but using that can be a pain in the processors!
                    However if you use the system account you can sidestep these issues.

Here's how I did it in the end with a bit of explanation.

I'm not sure how it'd handle the x32 - x64 change over but I suspect that as you're only migrating the actual database then it should be ok. Again, test before going live though, ok?
                    This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

Well,

I have tried with netsh command and what I have at this stage is the same. Installation was OK. However, it is still the same.

Yes you are right it is the blade server 64 bits and I am migrating 32 bits to 64 bits, plus teaming.

It is a bit odd, I have a teaming on my network connection and when I attempted installation of dhcp component it notifies me that I have dynamic ip of my server instead of static, which is not correct if you know the teaming (3 lan connections). I am not sure whether that might be problem or not?

Comment

graycat :" Again, test before going live though, ok?

Well how I going to test? I know only dhcploc and that is of not as much use. Ok, I have display statistics on my scope, and that says I have substantional number of discoveries, but none is the offer.

What type of the testing you suggest?

Comment

pereubu,

Your problem looks extremly similar to this one
                          If it is the same then, didn't Activating the scope sort it??

Cheers
                          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I'm not trying to be funny but have you actually tested the DHCP server is issuing IP addresses by creating a scope on the server?

You could be doing all this other testing and the DHCP server doesn't work as it should.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                              I'm not trying to be funny but have you actually tested the DHCP server is issuing IP addresses by creating a scope on the server?

You could be doing all this other testing and the DHCP server doesn't work as it should.
                              Willieb1,

The link in my previous post indicates that he might have posted the same issue in this other forum. Apparently, according to this other thread the problem has been resolved so, I am not sure whether the problem exists at all??
                              The similarities are too much to put it down to a coincidence.

Ta
                              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                              X