Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop to Server 2003

Hi,

Today I come in to a strange problem. Previously I was able to Remote Desktop into a server, but today I can't.

Whenever I try to connect, I get the following error:

"The client could not connect to the remote computer

Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.

Please try connecting again later. If this problem persists, please contact your system administrator"

Any ideas as to where to look?

Have you tried simple stuff like pinging it by name and IP? Did u install anything recently like SP1? Has the firewall been enabled?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

today i got the same problem at my private server.
      i can ping, but can't connect with TS, also not with mstsc /console /v:<ipadress>. I also cannot connect to any shares. Futher troubleshooting was out of the question, cause of missing time.

Oh, there is also ISA 2004 installed, and i can connect to the internet, but i can't send mail anymore. dunno what happens yet..

there is also no monitor connected to that device, so i couldn't look at it. If i've time, i will look at it this evening, and let it know.

runs a few weeks without any problem.

Oh i can FTP to it at the remote IP addresss
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Can ping it using both name & IP.

I believe HP's Insight Manager was installed on Friday afternoon, and since then there have been a couple of problems. The first was the server lost it's network settings. It had disabled it's built in network cards & the Team network.

Recreated them, and now we get this issue.

I've removed the teaming, and disabled one of the NICs, so that there is only one available, and I'm trying to connect to that, but so far to no avail.

SP1 isn't installed & the FW is disabled.

Comment

In the TS Connection Properties ensure that it is set to run on

a) a valid NIC
          b) the enabled NIC.

topper.
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Ok, found it. It turns out that Terminal Services associates itself with a network card. As we had deleted the previous network configuration, it didn't know what card to listen on. As soon as I told it what NIC to use, it worked fine.

Thanks Topper.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the resolution!
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber
                today i got the same problem at my private server.
                i can ping, but can't connect with TS, also not with mstsc /console /v:<ipadress>. I also cannot connect to any shares. Futher troubleshooting was out of the question, cause of missing time.

Oh, there is also ISA 2004 installed, and i can connect to the internet, but i can't send mail anymore. dunno what happens yet..

there is also no monitor connected to that device, so i couldn't look at it. If i've time, i will look at it this evening, and let it know.

runs a few weeks without any problem.

Oh i can FTP to it at the remote IP addresss
                Yesterday evening, it suddenly works again, without doing anything..
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                X