Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seizing FSMO roles

Hi Guys,

I have a customer who's main DC (role holder) has died. old server, no chance of getting it working.

I have another server that is in the domain.

I have read the article http://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm

However im a little confused as to weather i need to do this since the site will not grow and i wont be creating massive amounts of users to effect the RID. Also i only have one domain so the infrastructure is not recommended.

The only thing effected possibly is the PDC emulator.

my concern is that after an amount of time no one will be able to log in.

Suggestions welcome.

Re: Seizing FSMO roles

Hi,
    I think you have no other choice but to seize the roles. Trying to cut corners and close your eyes now will create loads of problems in the near future.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I agree. There's no point in not doing it and possibly having issues down the line. Offline operations masters can cause weird issues sometimes.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Agreed. As you've already pointed out, the lack of the PDC Emulator will cause problems in the near future.

Remember to also clean up the metadata of the failed DC, and if you do manage to repair it, remember to wipe the OS and reinstall before connecting it back to the network.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

as i thought. thanks for the advice.

Do i need to clean the meta data before i seize the roles?

Also i figure i need to move all the roles, is there a timescale i need to do this in before i can no longer log into AD? i know this has been mentioned before. i need to get onsite to do this thats all and if its a 48 hour thing i need to move fast
          Last edited by mordzy; 17th February 2009, 13:28.

Comment

Originally posted by mordzy View Post
            Do i need to clean the meta data before i seize the roles?

Have a read of http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc816907.aspx
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

brill thanks.

i read that the GC cannot be on the same server as the server with all the roles. my problem being i only have one member server to seize rolls to. do i need another server to then moved the GC to?

Comment

That only applies to multiple domain forests. In a single domain, there's no problem having the GC on all DC's. In fact, if you had only one DC it would hold all FSMO roles and be a GC.

Comment

that makes sense as im reading further articles.

On the machine i am transferring the roles to i can simply right-click NTDS Settings, and select Properties. Select the Global Catalog Server checkbox? and this will replicate ok considering the master is now dead.

Its a bit of a nitemare site that we have been called into. whoever has configured it before has made a bit of a mess. there are a couple of NT4 boxes in the domain.

Comment

That's all you need to do. It will use AD to compile.

Comment

thanks,

i best go and crack on.

will let you all know how i get on.

Comment

Working...
                      X