No announcement yet.

How to fix messy/duplicate DNS records?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix messy/duplicate DNS records?

Hi all,
    I've recently been assigned to a Windows 2003 domain in which several computers are intermittently unable to recognize their domain controller. They're able to ping the DC by both hostname and IP, but have problems logging on to the domain, joining the domain, getting group policy and accessing mail through exchange. After some investigation I discovered that the DNS records in the domain are quite messed up - there are several A records where a single IP is assigned to two, three and even four hostnames. I have verified, though, that clients can update the DNS records on the server automatically (after doing release/renew IP on a client).
    My question is, what would be the best way to clear up the duplicates (and any other problems I may not have recognized) and get DNS working properly again? From DNS management, I've tried scavenging old records, clearing the DNS cache and updating server data. Do I need to wipe out all DNS records and rebuild? Manually delete duplicates? If erase and rebuild, how would that best be done? I've also noticed that DHCP is distributed in this network by the router, not the DC - is this appropriate? Would it be best practice to change the DHCP server to the DC, so it's distributing both DHCP and DNS, and thus facilitate dynamic DNS updating?
    The DC is 2003 Server, and the clients are running Vista Business.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Gadi

Re: How to fix messy/duplicate DNS records?

It's not "inappropriate" as such to use the router for DHCP - certainly not as inappropriate as it would be to try to use the router for DNS. However, I would strongly recommend that you move DHCP onto the server and use the router purely as a gateway as you suggest.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Your right with looking at scavenging.
      Have you tried restarting the DNS service?

DHCP is ok on its own server. Is that set to update DNS on a client's behalf?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        DHCP is ok on its own server. Is that set to update DNS on a client's behalf?
        I don't believe DHCP running on a broadband router will dynamically update a DNS server running on Windows 2003.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi,

Can you give us a little more info on your Org structure. i.e. Single Domain?, how many Sites? how are the DCs distributed etc.

Thanks
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X