Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Database errors

Hi Friends

I am getting two critical error which I need to resolve urgently , the first one is I am more concerned about. Kindly help me resolving this issue.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NTDS ISAM
    Event Category: Database Page Cache
    Event ID: 474
    Date: 12/02/2009
    Time: 08:54:46
    User: N/A
    Computer: DCUKEU001
    Description:
    NTDS (684) NTDSA: The database page read from the file "E:\NTDS\ntds.dit" at offset 859897856 (0x0000000033410000) for 8192 (0x00002000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch. The expected checksum was 1953720691 (0x74736973) and the actual checksum was 653618604 (0x26f56dac). The read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06). If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.[/COLOR]
    ]For more information, see Help and Support Center at [/COLOR][COLOR=red]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.aspEvent Type: Error
    Event Source: NTDS General
    Event Category: Global Catalog
    Event ID: 1126
    Date: 12/02/2009
    Time: 08:39:44
    User: BOCCOM\teamsite
    Computer: DCUKEU001
    Description:
    Active Directory was unable to establish a connection with the global catalog.

Additional Data
    Error value:
    4294966278 []
    Internal ID:
    20800e0

User Action:
    Make sure a global catalog is available in the forest, and is reachable from this domain controller. You may use the nltest utility to diagnose this problem.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Last edited by m80arm; 12th February 2009, 12:38.

Re: AD Database errors

Have you done some research into those errors? http://www.eventid.net

You've told us nothing about the structure of your system, or the computer you're getting these errors on. Ok, it's a DC. Is it a global catalog? Does it hold FSMO roles? Are there other DCs?

The error message tells you that there is probably corruption in AD. You should probably follow the recommendations made by the same message, to restore from your backup. You should also look into the possible cause of the fault, which as the error message also points out, may be due to hardware failure. Is the server using RAID?

What version, edition and architecture of Windows is the computer running? What service pack? Is it fully up to date? What is the server used for other than a DC?

Originally posted by Yogesh
    You may use the nltest utility to diagnose this problem.
    Have you done that?

Please review the forum rules - they're clearly posted at the top of each forum. You are expected to do some research before posting, and more importantly you are expected to give enough detail when posting for people to be able to help you.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 12th February 2009, 12:46.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Do a Disc diagnostics (Chkdsk or any disk manifacturers tools you have there) and hopefully you'll have a backup handy just in case.

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi Gareth,

You are absolutely right, I should have written the additional info as well. Please find it now:
        • This is the first domain controller and also a GCS and PDC
        • In total we have 10 domain controller.
        • 3 DCs in the same site of affected DC
        • Restore of database is not so easy since we are getting these errors from last many days (cannot say exactly from when), so restore the healthy copy can be an issue.
        • Server RAID is seems to be ok since we donot any error in IBM director. (this server is x366)
        • nltest is for another issue but my priority is for AD corruption alert.
        If anyone of you has a good knowledge of Symantec check on NTDS then kindly let me know. Also kindly read my plan below and suggest me accordingly.

My plan is :
        • One more backup then demote from GCS
        • go to DSRM and do offline defrag and then integrity check.
        • If problem still persist then I need to check for Symantec check and need help on various switches it provide i.e recover, repair, fixup ...etc
        Regards
        Yogesh Malhotra

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        Have you done some research into those errors? http://www.eventid.net

You've told us nothing about the structure of your system, or the computer you're getting these errors on. Ok, it's a DC. Is it a global catalog? Does it hold FSMO roles? Are there other DCs?

The error message tells you that there is probably corruption in AD. You should probably follow the recommendations made by the same message, to restore from your backup. You should also look into the possible cause of the fault, which as the error message also points out, may be due to hardware failure. Is the server using RAID?

What version, edition and architecture of Windows is the computer running? What service pack? Is it fully up to date? What is the server used for other than a DC?

Have you done that?

Please review the forum rules - they're clearly posted at the top of each forum. You are expected to do some research before posting, and more importantly you are expected to give enough detail when posting for people to be able to help you.
        Last edited by Yogesh; 12th February 2009, 13:39.

Comment

Is the error only occuring on one of the DCs?

What else is this server running?

You make references to Symantec. Are you running their antivirus product? If so, which one?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Really apologize that was a typo error, it was actually "semantic database analysis " and not symantec .

There are several ohter services running on this server like:

IAS,DHCP,DNS,WINS,TS CAL licensing server,Root CA

regards
            Yogesh Malhotra

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Is the error only occuring on one of the DCs?

What else is this server running?

You make references to Symantec. Are you running their antivirus product? If so, which one?

Comment

semantic database analysis should only be done when requested by Microsoft.

As L4ndy said, chkdsk should be your first option. After that "ntds files" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753900.aspx

After that, restore a backup or demote and promote again.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
                semantic database analysis should only be done when requested by Microsoft.

As L4ndy said, chkdsk should be your first option. After that "ntds files" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753900.aspx

After that, restore a backup or demote and promote again.
                Hi Gren,

Thanks 4 your help - I checked following but it didn't work
                • Database compact
                • Recover
                • Integrity
                • Semantic check
                But at last I had to demote it but before demotion I had first took CA backup and unistall and after promotion I have restored the backup again.

Thanks 2 all

Regards
                Yogesh Malhotra

Comment

Working...
                X