Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Windows 2003 Mixed to Windows 2003 Native mode

Hello dear forum users,

I am having trouble finding the answer to my question on the net, I came across this forum and thought lets sign up and give it a shot.

My question is: I have a Windows 2003 server running in Mixed mode I want to convert this to Windows 2003 Native mode but will this give me problems with some of the older versions used on the workstations? We still use 98/2000/XP.

If you need more information regarding this subject please let me know and i will try to provide you with the information.

Kind regards,
    MrZomer

Re: Converting Windows 2003 Mixed to Windows 2003 Native mode

Modes only affect domain controllers, so assuming you have no other DCs running either NT4 or Windows 2000, you will have no problems
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello Ossian,

We have 2 Domain Controllers in our network wich are connected to each other. See it like this:

[DC2]----------------------------[DC1]

DC1 is the head location and DC2 is the second location. If we set our mode from Mixed to Native will this still affect nothing? Or can i count on some problems?

Kind regards,
      MrZomer

Comment

As long as both DC's are Windows 2003 then it won't affect anything. The domain and forest functional level has no affect on client machines.

Comment

Hello joeqwerty,

Thanks for your reply, indeed both DC's are Windows 2003. However we still use Windows 98/2000/XP on some machines (soon to be Vista and XP only), are you sure this still wont affect anything? Cause i thought (not sure i hope someone can tell me 100% sure) that it will affect older clients?

Kind regards,
          MrZomer

Comment

Nope, it only affects DC's.
            And errr.. time to move away from 98?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hello Dumber,

Thanks for your reply, yes we know that it is time to move on to XP/Vista that is why we are renewing our infrastructure.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Kind regards,
              MrZomer

Comment

Working...
              X