Need help with IIS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with IIS

First I'm really not sure that I'm writing this in the right place, but I saw someone else writing here something about IIS so I tought maybe it is the right place, if it's not then sorry I didn't know =\

anyway if it is the right place then to the topic:
    I'm trying to instal IIS on my computer so I will be able to use ASP, so I did like the tutorials said, I went to control panel, add or remove programs then add/remove windows competents and then I checked the IIS box, and pressed Next, now it started installing
    It asked for my Windows XP service pack 2 disc (I have windows xp service pack 2 on the computer) so I entered it (it's an original disc) and for some reason it couldn't find the folder i386 on the disc, it's not there and I need it to install the IIS... Can someone help me with it? thanks ahead

Try copying the i386 folder from the CD to a folder on your hard drive, and when you install IIS point the path to the new location. Make sure you have unhidden any hidden files.

As an aside, have you tried cleaning your XP CD in case it's got any marks on it?

Comment

Originally posted by emjay653
      Try copying the i386 folder from the CD to a folder on your hard drive, and when you install IIS point the path to the new location. Make sure you have unhidden any hidden files.

As an aside, have you tried cleaning your XP CD in case it's got any marks on it?
      But the problem is that the cd don't have the folder...

and no, I checked now after you said it and it dosen't have marks on it

edit: My brother just helped me, he told me to look in the windows XP disc not in the service pack 2 and the folder was there and it continued installing until it got to a file "adsutil.vbs" which it didn't find =\

edit 2: I just noticed that it's asking for the disc windows xp proffesional : service pack 2 not windowx xp service pack 2... I supouse I have home edition not proffesional, is that the problem?

Comment

When you install XP/2003 on your machine it uses the original i386 folder from the CD. That's where it looks for the files.

However, if the machine has a newer SP (SP2 in your case) then it will also require some updated files, from the SP2 file.

If you extract the SP2 file to your HD by using the command

Code:
        SP2filename.exe -x
        (replace SP2filename with the real name of the SP2 file)

then you'll find that you'll have another i386 folder, one that contains files from SP2.

BTW, you can also integrate this i386 into the original i386 in a process called slipstreaming (look for it on my site).
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
          When you install XP/2003 on your machine it uses the original i386 folder from the CD. That's where it looks for the files.

However, if the machine has a newer SP (SP2 in your case) then it will also require some updated files, from the SP2 file.

If you extract the SP2 file to your HD by using the command

Code:
          SP2filename.exe -x
          (replace SP2filename with the real name of the SP2 file)

then you'll find that you'll have another i386 folder, one that contains files from SP2.

BTW, you can also integrate this i386 into the original i386 in a process called slipstreaming (look for it on my site).
          "If you extract the SP2 file to your HD by using the command "
          what do you mean by that? and where should i put that code you wrote

Comment

anyone? (sorry for the double post)

Comment

copy the Self extracting file to the root of your C drive.

then goto command prompt, and type c:\SP2filename.exe -x

It will then create a folder in the root of C called i386.

topper
              * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by topper
                copy the Self extracting file to the root of your C drive.

then goto command prompt, and type c:\SP2filename.exe -x

It will then create a folder in the root of C called i386.

topper
                What self extractign file and where do you mean the root?
                (sorry that I ask so many questions but I don't understand in this much)

Comment

The service pack 2 self extracting.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And the root of C just means the base drive, not any sub folders.

topper
                  * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by topper
                    The service pack 2 self extracting.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And the root of C just means the base drive, not any sub folders.

topper
                    ah ok I will try (I'm self extracting it to c:/ without entering any folders)

Comment

Working...
                    X