Migrating Roaming Profiles from Server 2K3 to Server 2K8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating Roaming Profiles from Server 2K3 to Server 2K8

Hello all, this might be in the wrong forum as it involves both Server 2K3 and Server 2K8, if that's the case I apologize.

I have been tasked with transferring the profiles from our old profile server which is running Windows Server 2003, to our new profiles server which is running Widows Server 2008. Where I'm running into a problem is the Administrator account does not have permissions to do anything with the profiles unless I take ownership as the administrator, according to my boss this is not an option. So I'm left with trying to transfer files from one server to another while keeping their permissions in tact. I'll list what we've tried below and a few other ideas that I have yet to be given the go ahead for below.

What we have tried already:

1)xcopy /k/o -> works till it finds a folder within the profiles folder that gets Access Denied and cancelled the copy
    2)AT command with 1) -> does not work at all
    3)Back-up the files on win2k3 machine (using the backup utility) but cannot find what to use on the WS08 machine to restore

What I have not been given authorization to try yet:

1) Copy ntbackup over to the 2k8 server and try to restore the backup
    2) Boot off a boot CD and run Ghost to create an image of the partition, then restore the image to the new systems profiles partition.
    3) Boot up off of a Linux boot disk and use Linux to copy the files to a flash drive, then copy them to the appropriate location on the new server.

Any advice or other potential solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Migrating Roaming Profiles from Server 2K3 to Server 2K8

Why is taking ownership not an option? Did your boss elaborate? You could try Robocopy or AllSync. Also, Windows Server Backup (as it's called in Server 0 is not installed by default. You have to add it as a feature. Also, if you plan on using your XP/03 profiles in Vista/08 they are incompatible and not interoperable. You can store them on an 08 server but a Vista/08 client cannot use a XP/03 profile. You can use folder redirection to allow the two OS'es to "share" some common profile folders/components, but ntuser.dat (user's registry hive) is not one of the things that can be shared.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Why is taking ownership not an option? Did your boss elaborate? You could try Robocopy or AllSync. Also, Windows Server Backup (as it's called in Server 0 is not installed by default. You have to add it as a feature. Also, if you plan on using your XP/03 profiles in Vista/08 they are incompatible and not interoperable. You can store them on an 08 server but a Vista/08 client cannot use a XP/03 profile. You can use folder redirection to allow the two OS'es to "share" some common profile folders/components, but ntuser.dat (user's registry hive) is not one of the things that can be shared.

Firstly thank you for the quick reply. We've enabled Windows Server Backup on the new server. The backup file from the 2K3 server is not supported with the Backup feature in Server 2K8. As for why my boss does not want to take ownership of the folders, we're talking around 400+ folders that we would need to take ownership of.

Comment

Well, you could try a third party backup app that's compatible with 03 and 08. As for taking ownsership, you can do that at the parent folder and propogate it to all the child folders.

Comment

I ended up using a boot disk and using Xcopy /E /K /O to copy the files over to a NTFS formatted USB Flash drive, which seems to be working.

Comment

Working...
          X