NTFS Read Write and Execute Permission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS Read Write and Execute Permission

hi. i grant a folder read,write and execute permission(folder and files). i can edit files(for example jpeg,txt... etc) but i can not edit office documents. why?
    i can not rename any files. which special permission supply renaming a file or folder?

Re: NTFS Read Write and Execute Permission

Originally posted by fatihyar View Post
    i can not rename any files. which special permission supply renaming a file or folder?
    Delete, if I can remember correctly.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

thanks for the answer. i grant the folder delete and delete subfolder,files permission.
      i can not rename it. any ideas?

and i wanna learn the answer of the question about the office files?

Comment

Are you accessing this through a share?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

no. i use only ntfs permission. as i mentioned i have two problems. first is i can not edit office files while i can edit the other file types. why?

the second is which special ntfs permission or permissins supply changing the name of a file or folder? i tried delete and delete subfolder and files. it is failed.

Comment

I think what Andy (above) is asking, did you create a SHARE so you could map a drive to the folder? If you did create a SHARE, you will need to change the default SHARE Permission from Read Only to Full Control. Then your NTFS permissions will work. Remember that in a SHARE and NTFS situation it is the most restrictive permission that wins, in this case the SHARE's Read Only Permission.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

no i don't study with shares as i mentioned. so my question is not about share permissions. my question is about ntfs permission?

Comment

So the files are stored locally on the machine you're working on?
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

yes. i stored it locally.

Comment

Why have you not added the modify permission?
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

it doesn't matter. i tried modify permission. does anyone solve these problems. as i mentioned i have two problems.

first is i can not edit office files while i can edit the other file types. why?

the second is which special ntfs permission or permissins supply changing the name of a file or folder? i tried delete and delete subfolder and files. it is failed.

Comment

Can you tell us why certain permissions are not included? What is it that you do not want people who access the folder to be able to do? What restrictions do you want to place on your users?

This may be a better way of solving your problem. Once we have that clarified, perhaps we can sort out the mysterious Office files behaviour.
                        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Regarding the first problem I am not sure. Theoreticaly NTFS permissions should apply to any type of file. Can you post the exact error you get for that?

For the second problem. The allow Delete permission is the only permission you need in order to carry out a rename process.
                          When you assign the allow Delete permission explicitly, the allow Read permissions and Change permissions are assigned implicitly.

Check the Effective permissions tab for that user to see what exactly is happening.

Cheers
                          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Finally i found the solution after working for a day.

1- if you want to rename a folder the effective permission granted to that folder must be at least List Folder/Read Data + Create Folders/Append Data + Delete.

2- if you want to rename a file the effective permission granted to that file must be at least List Folder/Read Data + Create Files/Write Data + Delete.

You can do that like this you have x folder and y subfolder and a z file under x. if you want to rename y you should grant x List Folder/Read Data + Create Folders/Append Data + Delete permissions selecting This folder, Subfolder.

if you want to rename z you should grant x List Folder/Read Data + Create Files/Write Data + Delete permissions selecting This folder, files.

Thats all.

Comment

Did you find a solution to your query regarding not being able to edit Office documents?
                              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                              X