Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2000 Page File

Hello all

we have a critical terminal server that i have been given to look at, who ever set the machine up made a hash of the drives they are currently set up like this

C: = 2Gb (1.5 Gb free)
    E: = 24.5 Gb (12.1Gb free)
    F: = 245Gb (228Gb free)

the page file is set too

C. 512-1024
    E. 512-1024
    F. 4095-4095

now the machine is complaining of low resources, do you think i should flatten the machine and start again?

sorry forgot to mention its a server 2000 box thanks!
    Last edited by mudcow007; 9th February 2009, 11:41.

Re: Server 2000 Page File

How much memory is in the machine???

Personally i would remove all the page fils from the system and set the page file on f: to 1.5 time the installed amount of RAM.

That means if you have 6GB of RAM set the page file to 9GB fixed size.

Comment

If flattening the machine is an option, then I would go for it - do it now while it still is a viable option. 2 gig for the system partition (assuming the C drive is the Windows partition) isn't exactly spacious.

I don't see much need for three partitions on a TS (other than the performance boost of putting the page file on its own drive, which may not be a significant boost) - I'm hoping that any user data is stored on a separate server?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

hi thanks for the reply

the machine has 8gb i think it has more than that physically but being 32bit it can on see 4gb of it

so if i just remove all the page files from all but F: then increase the size of the pagefile on F

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          If flattening the machine is an option, then I would go for it - do it now while it still is a viable option. 2 gig for the system partition (assuming the C drive is the Windows partition) isn't exactly spacious.

I don't see much need for three partitions on a TS (other than the performance boost of putting the page file on its own drive, which may not be a significant boost) - I'm hoping that any user data is stored on a separate server?

no there is nothing on the C: partition, the os is installed on the E: partition

to be honest i dont really want to flatten it, if i can do with out it, but if i have too i have too

the machine is in use during the day too, so it makes change differcult!

Comment

As a long term strategy it may be worth looking at upgrading the server to 2003 or 2008 x64 to take advantage of more than 4GB of RAM. That depends on the spec of the server though and the load it's under as to whether or not it's worth it.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yeah best option is to rebuild and start from scratch with yuor required settings.

If thats not an option at the moment then i would do what i said and delete all the pagefiles that you have a recreate the one on F:

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                As a long term strategy it may be worth looking at upgrading the server to 2003 or 2008 x64 to take advantage of more than 4GB of RAM. That depends on the spec of the server though and the load it's under as to whether or not it's worth it.

i'd love too but they wont let me! the whole domain is on 2000 servers an they wont justify the cost

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  Yeah best option is to rebuild and start from scratch with yuor required settings.

If thats not an option at the moment then i would do what i said and delete all the pagefiles that you have a recreate the one on F:

thanks matey

i will keep you posted

thanks for the responses guys!!
                  Last edited by mudcow007; 9th February 2009, 12:54.

Comment

Right i have removes the pagefile from C; without any issues

when i came to remove if from the E: partition it complained about not being able to debug if the page file is less than 3583MB if a stop error occurs

is that because the os resides on that partition?

shall i continue removing the page files and increasing F: ?

........................... UPDATE..........................................

oh something else now too, it wont let me increase F: above 4095

"Enter a page file size that is greater than or equal to the initial size of the page file size and less than 4095"
                    Last edited by mudcow007; 9th February 2009, 12:59.

Comment

Yes.

As a token measure leave maybe 128MB on the e: and set F: to be 12GB.

You can get rid of the error if you change the size of the dumpfile to be small, 64KB IIRC, which can be done via the System Properties. Can't remember exactly where as i don't have a 2000 box handy.

Comment

Token can be as low as 16 Mb on 2003 and, IIRC, 2Mb on 2000
                        Set as large as you like on F (practically, 8GB = 2xUsable RAM) but defrag F first so you get a contiguous file (also remember max size=min size)
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by mudcow007 View Post
                          ........................... UPDATE..........................................

oh something else now too, it wont let me increase F: above 4095

"Enter a page file size that is greater than or equal to the initial size of the page file size and less than 4095"
                          Never had that before.

What is the file system type??? FAT32 or NTFS.

Wondering if this is the FAT32 file size limitation rearing its ugly head.

Comment

A couple of points to note:

1. If the server is Windows Server 2003 and the CPU supports the NX bit, then if you install SP2 the OS will set PAE for you and allow the OS to access all 8GB of RAM. If the CPU does not support the NX bit and you do not install SP2 then you can set the /PAE switch in the boot.ini file so that the OS has access to all 8GB of RAM.

2. Moving the page file to any of the logical drives gains you nothing in performance if all the logical drives are on the same physical disk. The pagefile contention is contending for the same physical disk that everything else is contending for. Creating multiple logical drives on the same physical disk (even if it's a RAID) will never increase performance as everything still has to contend for the same physical resource.

My suggestion would be to:

A. Leave it as it is and address the issue of the OS not seeing all 8GB of RAM. It really doesn't matter where the pagefile is as it stands now.

B. Rebuild it with only one logical disk, again addressing the issue of the 8GB of RAM.

c. Rebuild it but add a second physical disk for the pagefile, which is what Microsoft recommends for a terminal server.

Comment

The OS is Windows 2000.

The maximum amount of memory a 32-bit edition of Windows can use with PAE depends on the version and the edition. According to Microsoft, Windows Server 2003 Standard can't use more than 4GB - you would have to install the Enterprise edition to use 8. Unless this limit has been increased with SP2? The behaviour we've seen on our servers suggests that it hasn't...
                              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                              X