Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new 2003 server installation (replacement)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new 2003 server installation (replacement)

good morning folks,

quick question - basically have a windows 2003 server machine (simpy a file server, sharing out bits and pieces) that is having issues - keeps powering itself off overnight - have replaced power supply, however this is still not resolving the problem.

without wishing to waste too too much time going in to diagnostics, have a replacement box that is pretty much ready to go - question is, how simple is it to do the actual replacement.

is it a case of :

copying files and folders over (already done using robocopy to keep permissions)
    i believe there is a registry edit that needs to be done keep the share permissions
    simply disconnecting the old box
    renaming new box to that computername, and then giving it the same ip,dns gateway information.

power on new box, and away we go.

sounds a touch simple - am i missing anything.

downtime not too much of an issue, since the current box is as stable as some scaffolding made out of cardboard.

thanks in advance

Re: new 2003 server installation (replacement)

Yes, pretty much. As for registry settings they are stored here:

HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Lanmanserver\
    Shares\Security.

Comment

I second that. Post back and let us know the outcome.

Comment

ay carumba - thought all was going well - appeared to test ok over the weekend - all drive mappings fine, etc, etc.,

however now, get an error - 'trust domain between this workstatin and the primary domain failed" - either that, or simply unable to map to the new machine.

which has identical name, ip address, subnet mask etc.

exported registry and copied files over with robocopy, so permissions should be ok.

any ideas?

cheers

dv

Comment

Just to confirm what you said in your first post that this machine is *just* a file server... did you mean in a workgroup? Or is it a member server of a domain?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

oh - it's a windows 2003 file server in a domain, however 'only' sharing out files & folders - i.e. only working as a file server.

that issue seems ok now - would you believe the computer account was disabled - potentially locked out?
            not sure why.

anyway, seems ok now.

the next issue is that everything is running painfully slow - does one have to do anything arp or dns-wise -not sure, bearing in mind that the new machine has exactly the same ip address, computername etc. as the old one...

interesting...

Comment

Is it a domain member? If so, then it is not "only" a file server, even if that is the only function it performs.

Did you 'demote' the old server from a member server back into a workgroup, and remove its computer account from AD before setting up the new server?
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X