Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues with multi-homes server (was: Help please!!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with multi-homes server (was: Help please!!)

Good afternoon all. Hoping you all can help me in a frustrating situation. HAve searched through and found some good information in here but none of it is seeming to help resolve this issue.

Situation is this:

I have a network with 2 (soon to be 3) subnets. 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x with 3.x coming soon. I have 1 standalone server on each of the 2 subnets and am putting a 2003 r2 DC/exchange 2007 server on the 2.x network. Network is set up and communicating properly for what i can tell, all resources are pingable by name or ip so routing is working through each router (one at each location) properly.

What i am needing to do is make it so that computers from both subnets can become members of the domain, and will be able to connect to the email server.

From the 1.x subnet i am able to access everythingon the 2.x network, but am unable to join the domain. Says domain controler not found. Likei said i can ping it by name or ip, so wins/dns SEEM to be working properly, but I am unsure.

This is my first post on here so I hope that i have provided enough info but if not please let me know and I will provide all that i can.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    Last edited by jason.helm; 9th February 2009, 17:39.

Re: Help please!!

Hi,

Just use the subnet mask 255.255.0.0

Both Client and DC need to be on the same subnet.

Cheers
    Last edited by L4ndy; 6th February 2009, 18:31. Reason: ...didn't read the router bit.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Errr????
      They are on seperate locations. Why putting them in the same subnet???
      If routing is setup correctly there is not need to put them in the same subnet
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks for the responses, like I said, routing SEEMS to be properly working, name resolution works. is there anything in particular in the routing that i need to look at to ensure is there?

Thanks again, the fast responses are great!

Comment

Does nslookup works correctly, eg, can you resolve names using the nslookup command?
          Are there any ACL's on the Routers?
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

While pings and DNS queries should work without any problem across a router, it's unlikely that the traffic required for AD communication will traverse the router. Have a look at the links below. Note that the articles reference firewalls but are most likely to be applicable to you as well.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727063.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-a9166368434e

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=179442

Comment

Choose a better topic for your thread!

Originally posted by jason.helm View Post
              Good afternoon all. Hoping you all can help me in a frustrating situation. HAve searched through and found some good information in here but none of it is seeming to help resolve this issue.

Make sure you pick a better topic for your next thread. Failing to do so will result in your account being suspended for 2 weeks.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Issues with multi-homes derver (was: Help please!!)

What is wrong with my topic? tried to be very clear and thorough in my description... Please let me know what i did wrong...?

Comment

your original title was: Help please!!

Which is not an acceptable title for any posts to these forums.

Comment

ah I understand, will remember that for the future. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                      Errr????
                      They are on seperate locations. Why putting them in the same subnet???
                      If routing is setup correctly there is not need to put them in the same subnet
                      Yep! I did realise that it was a routed env. soon after i posted hence the Reason for editing

Cheers
                      Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

dcdiag when run on the server is giving me the following:

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\MAIL
                        Starting test: Connectivity
                        The host d7656a0c-ec8f-431b-a213-0d7659a7521d._msdcs.lighthouse.local c
                        ould not be resolved to an
                        IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
                        Although the Guid DNS name
                        (d7656a0c-ec8f-431b-a213-0d7659a7521d._msdcs.lighthouse.local)
                        couldn't be resolved, the server name (Mail.lighthouse.local) resolved
                        to the IP address (192.168.2.8 and was pingable. Check that the IP
                        address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
                        ......................... MAIL failed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\MAIL
                        Skipping all tests, because server MAIL is
                        not responding to directory service requests

What am i missing in my DNS setup on this server? I am assuming that i need local DNS set up and fuctioning for local traffic before i do the external DNS records correct? Or an I just way off base? Also nslookup tries to resolve all names to the outside dns server.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
                        Last edited by jason.helm; 9th February 2009, 18:33.

Comment

Re: Issues with multi-homes server (was: Help please!!)

Have you got any AD sites configured and how?

Ta
                          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thank you all for your help as I am now able to get my servers/ws on the other subnet to join the domain. Had some dns issues that i couldnt track, so wiped dns out and recreated the dns server. Thanks again and I look forward to working with you all again.

Comment

Working...
                            X