Can't add Local Domain security groups to Remote Access tab of servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't add Local Domain security groups to Remote Access tab of servers

I created a Domain local group called "lSec_Srv_BAU-NOTES_Administrator" which I want to put into the server "BAU-NOTES"'s Remote Desktop tab to allow members to RDP to the server.

None of my lsec groups appear in the list when I click on the Advanced button in the "Select Users or Groups" dialog. Nothing is filtered and I have tried it on a few servers with the same results. Global Security groups show OK.

Am I missing something?

PS. The lsec groups are visible when applying filesystem security! Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Can add Local Domain security groups to Remote Access tab of servers

Hello, you should use a GLOBAL group.

Maybe I'm wrong, but your issue should be related to your domain functional level (Windows 2000 Mixed?) and group nesting.

HTH, bye.

Comment

Yes sounds like you're on a pre 2003 functionality level. Either raise it or use a global group.

Comment

Domain Functional Level is Windows Server 2003.
        Forest Functional Level is Windows Server 2003.

Thanks guys.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

Are any other groups visible?

Also, when in the 'Select Users' box after clicking add in the 'Remote Desktop Users' box, does Group appear as an Object Type and i it checked, if present? Is the location set to the 'domain' and not the local computer.

You can look at the same by directly trying to add users to the 'remote desktop users' group.
          Last edited by Virtual; 13th February 2009, 10:44.

Comment

I can add domain local groups to file shares on the server and I can add the domain local groups to the Administrators group but I do not want the users to be admins of the local machine.

What could be the reason you can not add local groups to the Remote Desktop users tab of Computer Properties? Doesn't make sense.
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

Just to double check something, have you added the local group to the 'remote desktop users' group and tested?

When looking in to configuring it via the Remote Desktop tab of Computer Properties, I am unsure whether groups are available there. It's not on my XP machine anyway. I take it toher groups can be added other than the local groups. Is there anway of you creating a Global Group for the users.

Comment

Blindpepper, I seem to have started to support you for some reason. If you need it, you will need to create a thread though it is probably me who has mistakenly been answering.

A new thread has been created relating to the issues blindpepper mentioned. Please see, http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...793#post148793 for more information.
                Last edited by ahinson; 18th February 2009, 17:32.

Comment

This is for JDMils comments.

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  Just to double check something, have you added the local group to the 'remote desktop users' group and tested?

When looking in to configuring it via the Remote Desktop tab of Computer Properties, I am unsure whether groups are available there. It's not on my XP machine anyway. I take it toher groups can be added other than the local groups. Is there anway of you creating a Global Group for the users.

Comment

Re: Can't add Local Domain security groups to Remote Access tab of servers

Thanks Virtual. I *CAN* add global groups to the Remote Desktop Users tab of any server but I am at a loss why local domain groups can not be used as well/instead. Thanks for your vigilant help!
                    |
                    +-- JDMils
                    |
                    |

Comment

Working...
                    X