Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Raid-5 disks

Hello

I have a raid-5 array build-up from 3X18G disks.

I want to replace all disks to a larger ones 3X72G.

What is the best easiest and fastest way to do that ?

10X

Re: Upgrading Raid-5 disks

Hardware or Software RAID?
    What controller?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hardware raid - LSI

Can you explain the process for software raid too ?

Comment

You're going to have to back up all the data on the RAID5 array, break down the array, remove the 18GB drives, install the 73GB drives (I've never heard of 72GB drives), and build a new RAID5 array, then restore your data.

Comment

Depending on your controller ('LSI' isn't very specific) you may be able to swap disks out one at a time (allowing enough time for the array to rebuild between each swap) and have the controller automatically rebuild the array. You would then have to use the software of your choice to expand the volumes on the array.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

10X

Can i use Partition-Magic to resize the partitions after the disks upgrade ?

Is it safe to use Partition-Magic on a Raid-5 disks ?

Thank you for all

Comment

Whatever software you use, it won't see the RAID. It will see a single drive - same as what you see now with your smaller disks.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't use any partitioning software on a server. I would follow my recommendations for backing up the data, creating a new RAID5 array, and restoring the data.

Comment

Originally posted by avi_ei View Post
                  10X

Can i use Partition-Magic to resize the partitions after the disks upgrade ?

Is it safe to use Partition-Magic on a Raid-5 disks ?

Thank you for all
                  Partition Magic doesn't work on Server OSs. You would need Powerquest Volume Manager - not small Dollarinos! You could have a look at Acronis' software; that runs on Server OSs - however Joeqwerty is right - don't mess about with production servers - take the long, safe road EVERY time.
                  Last edited by Stonelaughter; 5th February 2009, 21:24.

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                  X