No announcement yet.

How do i migrate Windows 2003 Domain..?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i migrate Windows 2003 Domain..?

Hi everyone, well I'm facing really serious issue in my organization. I'm running Windows 2003 Active Directory and it's the Domain Controller of my Organization which includes the database of my (User, Computer and GPOs settings). I'm having problem with my system's Motherboard and I think its going to dead any day, So I'm planning to buy a new Motherboard and obviously I have to reinstall the Server 2003 again. My question is that, "How can I migrate my existing Active Directory (Domain) Users/Computers to a New Computer? What steps should I take to perform error free migration of domain, So my clients won't have any issue of logging into the Domain.

Thanks in advance

Re: How do i migrate Windows 2003 Domain..?

Create a new DC by running DCPROMO on an existing server or workstation running Windows Server 2003. Make sure to set your DNS to AD integrated and install DNS on the new DC. Make the new DC is a GC and all should be good.

I agree with Joe here although I would say do it now and on more than 1 machine. You can even use a VM for one of them. Install DNS on both and let it sit for a while to replicate. You can use repadmin, dcdiag and netdiag to determine health. If the server has stayed up long enough you can even gracefully move all of the FSMO roles to the other servers and dcpromo the old server out but that will depend on luck!

Finally make sure all of the client/server machines are using the new servers for primary and secondary DNS/WINS etc.

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

If you're keeping the same drive controller (i.e not onboard controller) it might even boot on the new motherboard. Make sure you take good notes of NIC config as this will reset. I would try it in safe mode first.

You could use Acronis True image with Universal restore to image from old to new. Take an off-line image to a seperate drive. Replace your M/b and restore.

All depends on how much work is involved in restoring the server roles.

Otherwise two boxes and DCPROMO.
        Last edited by Rednet; 10th February 2009, 14:20.