Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• logged in users

hello friends,

got a doubt. as a systems admin, how would we know who are all the users that are logged on to a domain at an instant of time?

cheers
    jdsony

Re: logged in users

Are you using terminal services?
    If so, you log onto any member server that has admin tools installed.
    Open up 'Terminal Services Manager' and click on your terminal server to see who is logged in.

Comment

Re: logged in users

I can think of two things that might be helpful.

First, you could do a query of Active Directory users and filter the returns based on the last logon time. Anyone who last logged on in the previous few hours might be assumed to still be on. Of course, that isn't entirely logical but if you're only after a generalized set of information then it might suffice. You would use Somarsoft's DumpSec tool to do this (along with some spreadsheet formatting).

Second, if you want to view who is actually logged on to your computers you would need to use a tool like cconnect or psloggedon to scan each computer in your fleet. Read this thread and take special note of the third post:

Originally posted by http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/223806-46-finding-computer-user-account-logged-into
      I modified cconnect and use it to track thousands of current domain users. I
      use a web based GUI to see and graph user load also...
      atx
      EDIT: Apparently "LimitLogon" is cconnect's newer replacement.
      Last edited by Nonapeptide; 3rd February 2009, 16:07.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
      X