Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• active directory login when 1 server of 4 goes down

Hello all,

I have (4) Win2003 servers w/AD running in a single domain within a single lan. going into each server i see that usernames/groups have all replicated between each machine.

the other day, one server, i'll call it PDC, did not bootup due to a power issue and users were not able to locate the domain. i thought that if AD replication was going on i could still perform a login because the other servers had the AD info already.

im already thinking that it's because the single DNS server went down....

my site:
    (1) PDC running DNS
    (1) Exchange Server
    (2) File and print

2nd part.

If i took (1) file and print server and put it in a remote site, should i run DNS on this machine so users from the remote site can authenticate locally and grab shares from this file server as well as the file server from the home office. currently we have a static route and everyone an the remote just logs into
    the homeoffice via this routed link.

thanks and regards from Guam
    pete

Re: active directory login when 1 server of 4 goes down

No DNS = No AD!
    Install DNS on more than one DC (certainly on one at each site) also, especially if you run Exchange, make more than one DC is a GC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I get the impression from what you write as well that you have AD on all of those servers? Is that correct?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy

yes,

AD is on all the servers. i'm going to go into the file servers and start a 2ndary dns server on it on the advise of Ossian. i meant to do this when i first put the machines up last year but they hummed along so long that i forgot the issue.

i have two locations but all the servers reside on Home Office and stations on the remote office login through a static route. 134.9.1.x(home)-134.9.3.x(remote).

Can i put this 2ndary DNS server on the remote side-it should ease network traffic for those remote side AD logons and resources that are specific to the remote side and of course act as backup dns in case my pdc drops again.

am a bit new to windows server networking im an old cne4, heh.

regards and thanks
        pete

Comment

Also, don't forget to make the DC at remote site Global Catalogs.
          What type of DNS zones have you got? I'd suggest you use AD integrated Zones to minimise intersite DNS traffic.

Ta
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X