Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent connection to server through router.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent connection to server through router.

I have a WK3 server SP2 with an networking issue but only from the router.
    We need a VPN connection to connect this network to a remote site and so have VPN routers connected with a tunnel. This is working fine as far as I can tell as I can pass traffic from both sides to the other except for the server.
    On the server network, all PCs can see the server and RDP to it etc. From the server network, all PCs can see/ping the remote network PCs.
    From the remote network (no server here), all PCs can see the PCs in the servers network but not the server.
    From the outside, can RDP to any PC setup in port forwarding except the server.
    Have tried 3 different router combinations. If I ignore the remote side (as no VPN this way) and put in a cheap old Linksys 4 port router, I can RDP to the server.
    From the server, I can ping all the workstations in the local network but if I ping the gateway (router) it has intermittent timeouts like 10 replies, 20 timeouts, 5 replies, 10 timeouts, etc. With the old Linksys, it replies consistently.
    I tried a brand new set of routers and had the same issue.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? My head hurts.

Re: Intermittent connection to server through router.

Originally posted by ondeck View Post
    I have a WK3 server SP2 with an networking issue but only from the router.
    We need a VPN connection to connect this network to a remote site and so have VPN routers connected with a tunnel. This is working fine as far as I can tell as I can pass traffic from both sides to the other except for the server.
    On the server network, all PCs can see the server and RDP to it etc. From the server network, all PCs can see/ping the remote network PCs.
    From the remote network (no server here), all PCs can see the PCs in the servers network but not the server.
    From the outside, can RDP to any PC setup in port forwarding except the server.
    Have tried 3 different router combinations. If I ignore the remote side (as no VPN this way) and put in a cheap old Linksys 4 port router, I can RDP to the server.
    From the server, I can ping all the workstations in the local network but if I ping the gateway (router) it has intermittent timeouts like 10 replies, 20 timeouts, 5 replies, 10 timeouts, etc. With the old Linksys, it replies consistently.
    I tried a brand new set of routers and had the same issue.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? My head hurts.
    If your server has two network adapters, try the other NIC. I just resolved a similar problem by switching NICs. Let me know if that works for you.

Comment

Re: Intermittent connection to server through router.

It does have 2, they're not teamed and I did try that. I also tried reinstalling the Intel pro1000 driver from the Intel site. The thing that keeps bringing me back to software is that the server can ping all local PCs and they it but only the local PCs (not the server) can reliably ping the gateway... Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X