Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you retrieve users passwords in Active Directory (Was:Active Directory)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you retrieve users passwords in Active Directory (Was:Active Directory)

How to check passwords of active directory user in server 2003.

Please suggest me.
    Last edited by kmrdurgesh; 29th January 2009, 06:05.

Re: Activedirectory

You mean you want to find out what their passwords ARE?

You can't. Forget it.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Phone user
      Ask them what their password is
      Get fired

There are tools that attempt to unhash passwords but they require access to the DC and time if the passwords are (as they should be) complex.

But the real question is WHY do you want to find out their password when, as a domain admin, you can reset it?

PS - please choose a better title for your thread!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes i want to retrive.

Comment

Why do you need this????
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by kmrdurgesh View Post
            yes i want to retrive.
            As I said - forget it. It can be done but it's difficult, fiddly and costs your organisation time and money. Don't do it; either ask the user, reset the password, or if your reasons are not strictly within your company policy and the Law, LEAVE IT.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Re: Can you retrieve users passwords in Active Directory (Was:Active Directory)

Are you an Active Directory Administrator?
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds well dodgy.

As a system admin, I don't think I would ever want to.

The only thing I can think of is when a user has protected their .pst file and left the company.

Comment

Still though the pst password isn't placed in AD and the user account is easily reset.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Microsoft doesn't salt their hashes so if you grab some Rainbow Tables and a program like Cain & Abel it won't take long. You will still need Admin access to a DC though.

Comment

I can't think of a single occasion that, as a system admin, I have EVER needed to find out someone's password.

That being the case, why couldn't we simply have left the answer to the original poster as "You can't. Forget it."????

Yes we all know it's possible - but this is not the site to find stuff like that out... there IS NO LEGITIMATE REASON to need to find out a user's password. You ask their permission, you reset it so you can use their account to diagnose the issue at hand, and then you reset it (and force change at first logon) and tell them their new password.

Tom

Comment

How about everyone just stop talking about it?

Comment

How about no more replies until kmrdurgesh posts back? His (assuming he is a he) has not responded since 31st January, 10 days ago.

Thanks.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Activedirectory password checking / obtaining

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                            Phone user
                            Ask them what their password is
                            Get fired

There are tools that attempt to unhash passwords but they require access to the DC and time if the passwords are (as they should be) complex.

But the real question is WHY do you want to find out their password when, as a domain admin, you can reset it?

PS - please choose a better title for your thread!

hi,
                            what to do to check/obtain the correct password as user says that his password is so and so..As we have to provide the facility to change password at login to the users.

Comment

Re: Activedirectory password checking / obtaining

IMHO do not try to get the users old password - since this is Active Directory, it is easy to change the password and tell the user the new one. You can also specify "change password at next logon"
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X