No announcement yet.

User activity monitoring software

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User activity monitoring software

My client has asked me about whether we can log and display the file activities of all employees. He wants a record of every file opened, copied, moved or deleted by users. Has anyone heard of software that can do this?

I currently run a weekly archive of all file shares which gives a comparison but doesn't really show activity.

Re: User activity monitoring software

I'm not sure you can find a specify software for monitoring user activity in a server. But you can enable Audit object access to track user activites on any objects such as files and folders. After that you could find the logs of all file/folder access in the event logs. Warning!: This will increase the log file size dramatically.

Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
    MCITP [AD]

Re: User activity monitoring software

As with everything, be careful what you wish for. Mohan touches on this; but the security logs will need MASSES of space with file access auditing enabled on all activity; and there is a limit on 32-bit systems' security log size.

You will probably need a third party tool to help you analyse and filter the security logs. It may also require almost an entire FTE to actually DO anything with the data resulting from this.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you