Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demoting a DC

Hi,

The DC that I'd like to demote is hosting a DNS server. My other DC is hosting a DNS server - but I'm not sure if it's the primary or secondary DNS server.

I need to demote this DC and clean up the server metadata, but I'm hesistant in doing this since the DNS server is being hosted from this DC.

1) How can I check which one is the primary or secondary DNS server?
    2) Lets say that the secondary DNS server is being hosted on another DC would this automatically switch to the primary once I've demoted this server?
    3) Should I install the DNS server on another DC and will this be picked up as a secondary?

I've verified that the Operation Masters and the roles are not being hosted by the DC that I would like to demote.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Thanks
    Judy

Re: Demoting a DC

You should probably think of making the DNS Zone(s) AD integrated and selecting an appropriate replication scope depending in your org structure.
    After a thorough replication then, you can start the demotion process and pointing the clients to a different DNS server (Usually on the same AD site if configured)

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

L4ndy,
      Thanks for the quick response.

After discussing this with my colleague - our DNS is integrated and it doesn't really matter which is primary/secondary.

From what I understand about "integrated", replication of DNS will be replicated to all domain controllers in AD.

Again, thanks for the quick response.

J.

Comment

Originally posted by gothicreader View Post
        L4ndy,
        Thanks for the quick response.

From what I understand about "integrated", replication of DNS will be replicated to all domain controllers in AD.

J.
        No probs,

It'll be replicated to all DC in AD if the replication scope is set to "Replicate to all DC in the AD domain"
        But there are other replication scopes you can choose: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc779655.aspx

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X