X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DfsrPrivate Folder

Hi
    I hope this isn't a silly question.
    To see the bandwidth between the DFS servers I run a batch file every 30 min that drops the backlogfilecount to a txt file.
    Do I have to exclude the DfsrPrivate Folder from replication, because I seem to be showing a lot of file waiting to be replicated?
    Also on the master server, I run a robocopy batch to update any changes to the Templates folders. could this cause the excess number of files? even though only a couple of files may be changed every week or so.

Tom Cross
    Tom Cross
    Sydney Australia

Re: DfsrPrivate Folder

Yes your question is silly.

Don't mess with dfsrprivate and don't worry about its contents. It auto cleans itself when its past the size threshold. Other than occasionally grabbing something from the ConflictsAndDeleted folder it requires no maintenance.

Also on the master server, I run a robocopy batch to update any changes to the Templates folders. could this cause the excess number of files? even though only a couple of files may be changed every week or so
    Don't know what that means but there is no "master" server once initial replication is done. After that its a multi-master system.

Comment

That's VERY unfair. A question is only "silly" if you already know the answer... as the OP didn't know the answer (clearly), his question was not silly.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hi and thanks for the replies.
        Maybe I need to explain a bit better.

Upon seeing the rise in backlog file count, I used tree size to see if I could see where the differences were in the file structure at each server.
        The main differences were in the contents of the DfsrPrivate Folders.
        I had assumed that DFSR itself would not include this folder from replication, as from what I can see this is how each server works out what needs to be copied etc.

The only other option was the RoboCopy batch file which runs to update Company wide Templates. It uses the /mir switch so only copies changed files BUT I thought it may also trigger a re-sync in DFSR??

Tom
        Tom Cross
        Sydney Australia

Comment

I still don't understand your problem.

Dfsrprivate is not replicated. Its used for prestaging and caching of files. It will not be identical between replication partners and depending on the size of your replicated folders its normal for it to be gigabytes in size and contain thousands of files.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc782648.aspx

Comment

Thanks Garen
            I will have to investigate the use of Robocopy, this is the only explanation I can see for the jump in files replicating.

Question,
            How does DFSR know what to check for replication, if it attrib change will it realise the files have not changed and then not copy??

Tom
            Tom Cross
            Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
            X