Nead Opinion About Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nead Opinion About Server

Hello, i have a Win2003 Strd with 4gb ram because it doesen't accept more. It has as well Exchange server 2003 installed and 2 heavy programs that use large sql databases that they use by terminal services. The server is getting slower and slower. What do you recomend? build up a extra maxine for the database like a sql server ? will that free up more ram for the exchange server and terminal server ?

Best Regards
    Kevin Guerreiro

Re: Nead Opinion About Server

To go over 4Gb RAM, you will more or less need 64-bit OS and software, so consider that as well.

Why not tell us a little more about your setup -- no of users, no of servers etc.

but in general, dont overload one machine too much!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just to clarify:

32-bit Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition supports up to 4GB of RAM
      32-bit Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition supports up to 32GB of RAM
      32-bit Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition supports up to 128GB of RAM

Comment

Thank for the fast answer guys. I will try to explain how the setup is. This company has 3 stores and 1 server in a Datacenter with a 100mbit line. The server has a total of 15 users connected every day. All of the users use terminal services to use the software. This software uses a sql database, don't have sql server, use sql express 2005. The same server has Exhange Server 2003 instaled , and the users connect via vpn to the server to use local outlook. I have Kaspersky Antivirus with exchange module. The server is very slow, always without memory. My idea is to build a new machine just for the sql server. Would like some help to decide what is the best moove.

Thank's Again

Comment

I would start by building a Terminal Server and moving the users to it. Then see how the Exchange/SQL server does.

Comment

when the server is running slow see what process is using maximum amount of memory ... should be a good pointer as to what is your memory hog

Comment

Well, there are processes that are consuming allot of memory. 5 x Outprocadapter.exe that is from kaspersky all cosuming 95.500k each process. Then there is the Store.exe process that sometime goes up to 968.876k. Cpu utilization in this case is up to 80%. Changing anything to another server will help ?

Comment

Yes, move your users to a dedicated terminal server. After that you can see how the Exchange/SQL server does. You will see the "biggest bang for the buck" by moving your users.

Comment

well, if i go with your opinion, i would buy a new machine with probably with sbs2003 premium, that has exchange and sql, make it the DC , and the other win2003 standard the BC ?

Comment

No, I wouldn't recommend that for a number of reasons. Just purchase an x86 server with Windows Server 2003 or 2008 and move your users to it.

Comment

This application that runs the sql DB's .. can it be configured to connect from a different machine? If you end up moving your users to a different terminal server you will have to configure the application to talk to a remote sql server and not a local sql server.

Do your users logout of their terminal sessions or do they disconnect? If they disconnect you may want them to logoff at the end of the day. You can also configure terminal server and or local policy to logoff inactive sessions after two hours.

Comment

Hmmm, is it possible to use win2003 Terminal server licences in a win2008 server ? How about make onde good machine with virtual machines ? would that help ? The server is not a normal server, it's a core2duo 6850 , should i change it to a xeon ?

Thanx for the help.

Glacieredlighning, yes it's possible to put the sql database in another machine, i will have to probably make a vpn connection between both computers, or add the sql server to the domain, and it will do the trick i think. All users logout the server, and if they forguet the terminal services terminates the session after 2 houers of inactivity.
                        Last edited by kevinguerreiro; 23rd January 2009, 13:56.

Comment

2008 uses different TS licenses to 2003
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you can afford it then split the three functions across three diff boxes ... I would ... sql+AD+DNS on one box, Exchange+AD+DNS on one box and TS on the third box.
                            This way I don't have all my resources on one system, I have no conflicts between Exchange, SQL and TS and also my AD is sitting on two seprate servers for DR.
                            You could get away by getting three pizza boxes to do all this.

my two cents ....

Comment

Hmmm ii cannot aford somany servers, so there is another situation, do you recomend running sql and exchange in a virtual machine ?

Comment

Working...
                              X