X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Server Express search criteria

Hi folks

Another SSE 2008 question:

I have SSE 2008 installed on our domain controller running Win2k3 standard edition.

The Search Server seems to be working after a fashion but I would like to request some help with problems finding data.

The crawls are working as they should (I had to change the sharepoint timer service account logon to use the domain administrator account before the first full crawl would start). All data being crawled is located in a single share on a separate server. Share permissions and security permissions for every folder and file contain the domain administrator account which has full control.

The account to use for the crawl itself is also set to use the domain administrator account.

The only errors the crawl log contains are those related to files/folders which have been removed since the last scheduled crawl.

The problem I have is that the search does not appear to be indexing the contents of the files. We use MS-Office 2003 and searching for specific terms within those documents will only list folder names which contain the search terms. Therefore, if the search term is not contained in a folder name, no results are available.

I also added the pdf file type to the list of file types that the server should index. The entry was successful and was listed as 'Adobe Acrobat Document'. Next I created a PDF and named it 'Test search text.pdf'. The pdf contained two lines of text one of which was a number. Searching for the text or the number contained in the PDF yeilds no results. Searching for the name of the PDF yeilds no results either.

The data being searched is located on a Win2k3 storage server. The shared folder being indexed not only includes full control by the domain administrator, but is completely open to Everyone - Everyone has full control.

The size of the resource being indexed is 122GB, 112,334 files, 10,127 folders

The index contains 10953 items

Obviously, I must be missing something vital regarding configuration. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me sort this problem out.

Thanks
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Search Server Express search criteria

I sorted this out. I had not read through the documentation carefully enough and had not used the correct format for the crawl rules.

Under Crawl Rules I had entered //server/share/*.* instead of *://server/share/*

Everything is now being indexed beautifully

Edit - but it's still not indexing the contents of PDF files ....
    Last edited by Blood; 5th February 2009, 10:20.

Comment

Hey mate,

The problem you are having with it not searching PDF file is that you do not have a suitable PDF iFilter installed.

Get the free Foxit filter from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/ifilter/

Hope that helps.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by jpierre View Post
        Hey mate,

The problem you are having with it not searching PDF file is that you do not have a suitable PDF iFilter installed.

Get the free Foxit filter from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/ifilter/

Hope that helps.

Josh
        Hi Josh

Thanks for answering.

Unfortunately, the Foxit iFilter is not free. It costs 320 for a two core server with a 20% discount for non-profit organisations (my company is a non-profit organisation).

MSSX is installed on a Domain Controller - i.e. a server. In the present economic climate we can not justify that expense on the ability to search PDF's, especially when all the MS documentation claims that a standard installation of Adobe Reader *should* provide an appropriate iFilter. This has been echoed on the MSSX forums too.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Why don't you use the free filter from the people that invented the pdf format:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2611

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
            Why don't you use the free filter from the people that invented the pdf format:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2611

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen this but as is stated at the top of that page the filter should not be required.

However, I think I have found the the solution but I won't know until tomorrow morning. If it works, I'll post it.

Thanks again.

Comment

I believe the search won't be successful for the PDF document until Sharepoint's scheduled crawl has completed. When searching, it will be looking at the current indx, which won't know about the PDF document until a crawl has taken place.

Comment

That is why I won't know until tomorrow if it has succeeded - a full crawl is scheduled to run tonight.

Comment

I see.

Comment

Sorry mate, my bad - I thought the product was free.

I'm actually having a problem with Search Server returning search results for items a user has no access to. Don't suppose you have a solution?

Sorry to thread hi-jack!

Comment

Originally posted by jpierre View Post
                      Sorry mate, my bad - I thought the product was free.

I'm actually having a problem with Search Server returning search results for items a user has no access to. Don't suppose you have a solution?

Sorry to thread hi-jack!
                      No - you are partially correct and I did not fully explain the conditions of use for the Foxit iFilter. The iFilter is free for desktop use e.g. for use with Windows Desktop Search on a client. But, you have to pay if you want to use it on a server.

I'm afraid I've only brushed the surface of MSSX so I really don't know if what you want to do if feasible. I assume that if a user does not have rights to a source, they will not get access to data from that source.

@those waiting....

The Full crawl has only just started so it'll be a short while before I have any results.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                        I'm afraid I've only brushed the surface of MSSX so I really don't know if what you want to do if feasible. I assume that if a user does not have rights to a source, they will not get access to data from that source.
                        You're right, they can't open the file but it still previews the data in the search results which is a big no-no.

[QUOTE=Blood;149532
                        @those waiting....

The Full crawl has only just started so it'll be a short while before I have any results.[/QUOTE]

How did you go with your problem, mate?

Comment

It did not work.

I've had other issues to deal with since this started so have not been able to try other solutions.

I think it's really strange. Considering that pdf is one of the de facto methods of disseminating information on the web I'm surprised that MSSX does not incorporate an iFilter as part of the default installation.

Still, one of the good(?) things about this is that you are forced to learn how it works in order to solve the problem

Comment

Working...
                          X