How to take ownership of Shared folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take ownership of Shared folder

I have a shared folder on my server .The sub-folders hierarchy inside this folder(main shared folder ) is very long.The subfolders path is more than 100 folders long(folder\folder\folder\folder.................. ...................................).When I try to take the ownership of this folder as an administrator it gives me an error message .i.e. Access is denied.This prevents me to remove the permissions on this folder also.I there any way to take ownership of this folder .I tried a lot but in vain.Kindly help me !!!!!!!

Re: How to take ownership of Shared folder

It all depends on the permission structure you have there but as an admin you should have the right permissions on all the folders (Full Control that is), you can try to replace the permissions on the child folders but with such a folder structure that might be a nightmare and it is a Minefield if not planned properly.
    It all depends on the permission requirements on those folders.
    How are they set? Is there any need for different permissions on different folders or can it be "standartised"?
    Anyway as a guide follow these steps:

On the folder where you want to take ownership , Go to the Security tab, Advanced and then tick Allow inheritable permissions...
    This may however need to be repeated on the parent folders if not set.

On the root folder go to the Security tab and then Advanced, select the Group which your admin account is a member of, and then Edit. Tick allow Full control and make sure the Apply onto scope is "This folder, Subfolders and files" and then OK. Ok, Ok.

Then try to take ownership on the folder and see if it works.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
    X