Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will DFS copy NTFS folder permissions if the share is moved?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will DFS copy NTFS folder permissions if the share is moved?

Does anyone know if I implement DFS, will it copy the Folder/NTFS permissions from its original location to the root DFS share or will it reset to the defaults? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Will DFS copy NTFS folder permissions if the share is moved?

It sounds like you think that DFS is a storage mechanism and that when you implement it, your files will be moved from their current location to the DFS folders. That is not the case. DFS is a "referral" mechanism. You create DFS links that point to your existing shares. This gives your clients a common "namespace" for accessing shares on any number of file servers. To answer your question, DFS won't change the existing permissions at all.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      It sounds like you think that DFS is a storage mechanism and that when you implement it, your files will be moved from their current location to the DFS folders. That is not the case. DFS is a "referral" mechanism. You create DFS links that point to your existing shares. This gives your clients a common "namespace" for accessing shares on any number of file servers. To answer your question, DFS won't change the existing permissions at all.

Thanks, and you actually helped me answer another question I had, but I'm still a bit confused.

Let's say I move folder shares A, B, C, and D to a newly created share called "root" on a different partition (same server). Will the permissions remain in tact?

My situation is that I have user home folders which we as hidden shares with the $ and gave only the user that it belonged to access to the share. Well, we created a new "root" folder for DFS and moved the home folders into it, but was wondering if the permissions would stay the same.
      Last edited by a2thed; 21st January 2009, 02:21.

Comment

Copying Files and Folders
        When copying folder or files from one folder to another folder or from one partition to another partition, permissions for this files or folders may change.
        When copying a folder or file within same NTFS partition, the copy of the folder or file inherits the destination folder permissions.
        When copying a folder or file between different NTFS partitions, the copy of the folder or file inherits the destination folder permissions.
        When copying folders or files to non NTFS partitions such as File Allocation Table (FAT), the files or folders will lose their all NTFS permissions.

Moving Files and Folders
        When moving a file or a folder, permissions may get changed depending on the destination folder permissions.
        When moving a file to a folder within the same NTFS partition, the folder or file will retains its original permissions.
        When moving a folder or file between different NTFS partitions, the file or folder will inherit the destination folder permissions.
        When moving files to folders on NTFS partitions to non NTFS partitions the folders and files will lose their all NTFS permissions, as NTFS permissions are not supported by non NTFS partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Copying Files and Folders
          When copying folder or files from one folder to another folder or from one partition to another partition, permissions for this files or folders may change.
          When copying a folder or file within same NTFS partition, the copy of the folder or file inherits the destination folder permissions.
          When copying a folder or file between different NTFS partitions, the copy of the folder or file inherits the destination folder permissions.
          When copying folders or files to non NTFS partitions such as File Allocation Table (FAT), the files or folders will lose their all NTFS permissions.

Moving Files and Folders
          When moving a file or a folder, permissions may get changed depending on the destination folder permissions.
          When moving a file to a folder within the same NTFS partition, the folder or file will retains its original permissions.
          When moving a folder or file between different NTFS partitions, the file or folder will inherit the destination folder permissions.
          When moving files to folders on NTFS partitions to non NTFS partitions the folders and files will lose their all NTFS permissions, as NTFS permissions are not supported by non NTFS partitions.

Thanks a lot! This made everything much more clearer for me.

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
            X