server 2000 keeps rebooting itself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2000 keeps rebooting itself

My windis 2000 server keeps rebooting itself. It's somthing that it was not doing before. Any advice woould be appreciated

Re: server 2000 keeps rebooting itself

A Server 2000 computer is likely to be on hardware that is fairly old, and we get self-reboot computers in our workshop which generally exhibit the same problem if the machine is old: overheating.

When it overheats, it cuts out as a safety feature but can often result in a reboot for no apparent reason.

Clean the fans, make sure they are rotating! Check the CPU heatsink paste, clean the heatsink and give it a general dusting, as components that get dusty can get hot, and fans and metal fins on heatsinks get blocked. If your PSU is very dusty, it can often be a good idea to get a whole new PSU but for a server invest in a quality unit as cheap PC ones are not worth the risk.

That's the first thing I would check for, noting how careful you have to be over the heatsink paste, but that is well worth doing.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by lee720 View Post
      My windis 2000 server keeps rebooting itself. It's somthing that it was not doing before. Any advice woould be appreciated
      You could start by giving us more information about your setup and the symptoms of the problem. We could then have a clue where to start diagnosing the issue - or at least what questions to ask.

Your question is exactly the same as:
      My car is making a strange noise. What part should I replace?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        My car is making a strange noise. What part should I replace?
        The Driver
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Turn off the restart on automatically restart on system failure and see if you get a stop error. If not look at the event logs and software running. Try the box in safe mode to see if it happens, check overheating etc if you can (the server manufacturer may provide tools for checking the hardware).
          Has anything changed recently, patches for example?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Lsass.exe problem, maybe?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment