Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to prevent user connect to printer using TCP/IP port?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent user connect to printer using TCP/IP port?

In my case, the networks already have been a network printer.

How to control all users must use network printer and deny user connect to printer using TCP/IP port?

Re: How to prevent user connect to printer using TCP/IP port?

Are your client workstations running OS/2? If not, tell us more about your setup and maybe someone can help you. Right now, all we know is that you have networked printers, and we have to assume that you have posted in the right place and therefore have servers running either 2000 or 2003. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555375
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You can set an ACL on the switch so the port the printer is connected to only allows traffic from the server that is setup as the print queue.

Comment

Simple. Client machines exist in a different network (subnet) than the printers. The server has 2 network adapters. One to communicate with clients and the other to the printers.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I'd do a combination of what's been posted so far. Place the printers and the computers on different subnets, and block the PC subnet from communicating with the printer subnet. Make sure the server can communicate with the printer of course by being on a subnet that CAN communicate with the printer subnet.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Assuming it is a Windows domain, you can use group policy to deny users the ability to map local printers (which is what a direct TCP/IP connection appears as) and only allow them to connect to network printers, i.e. shares on a print server

You could also look at TCP/IP filtering in the network connections of the clients
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X