Custom services stops automatically on Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom services stops automatically on Server 2003

NOTE: I get long-winded in this description, so if you want to skip to my question, its at the bottom.

I'm try to get the SonicWall Global VPN Client (version 4) to start as a service on Windows Server 2003. I've gotten this scenario to work on both Windows 2000 Server and Windows XP Pro.

I use the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit's "instsrv.exe" and "srvany.exe" to make the application run as a service using the Local System account with the "Allow service to interact with the desktop" checkbox checked. On Win2kSrv and WinXP, running this service while logged in (always as domain admin) will launch the GUI and allow me to create a VPN policy. I can set the VPN policy to connect on application startup, so when I reboot the computer and the service starts prior to login, it will activate the policy and the computer will successfully connect to the firewall.

However, when I set this up exactly the same on Windows Server 2003, whenever I attempt to start this service I get the following message:

The ServiceName service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service.
    I've tinkered with this for hours now, including copying SonicWall registry settings from HKEY_CURRENT_USER over to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT, which is where the settings show up on my working Windows 2000 Server. I've also copied the VPN policy files to the proper place under "Default User" rather than the user profile path.

QUESTION: Is there any way to tell Windows Server 2003 to just run the service anyway, even if it thinks it "has no work to do"? I need the GUI to launch so I can set the VPN policy and other settings.

Thanks,
    Michael

Re: Custom services stops automatically on Server 2003

What does the Event Viewer have to say?
    Have you set the Service Startup type: to Automatic start instead of having it on Manual (assuming it is set to Manual since it appears to be an on demand service)?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Custom services stops automatically on Server 2003

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      What does the Event Viewer have to say?
      Have you set the Service Startup type: to Automatic start instead of having it on Manual (assuming it is set to Manual since it appears to be an on demand service)?
      There are no events in the Event Log pertaining to the attempted start of this service. I thought that quite strange.

Also, the service is already set to Automatic, as the purpose of this service is to launch the VPN Client software and its policy before user login so a remote server can reboot and reconnect itself to the network.

Thanks,
      Michael

Comment

Working...
      X