2 nic cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 nic cards

hello...I am new at server stuff...I have an old windows 2000 server its on its own network. well this machine has 2 nic cards. one is for that network and they want to connect it to the other router so that it can have internet to allow someone to log on.

I dont even know the right question to ask right now at this point to start me on this...but this is an emergency...plz help

Re: 2 nic cards

ok I hooked up the new nic card and when I tried to put the ip address in that it alreadyt had I got an error stating that it already existed. so I put in a different number under the scope range.

when I ping it it request times out immediately....what can possibly fix this please help..

Comment

I don't understand what you are asking. What exactly is the problem you are experiencing. Please provide a detailed description of your setup.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

ok I have 2 networks in the same building...on one side its windows 2003 server and works fine..thats where the internet is..

in the other room is another network and they have 2 servers there. Windows 2000. The one server has 2 nic cards. The one nic card is for the network..the other network card is connected to the admin network..

I cant get internet...I have mirrored the settings. When I ping request times out immediatley...on both ends...I kow somewhat its being recognized because when I replaced the nic card and put in the ip that was in there with the other one..a box came up saying that address is already in use so I just picked a different one that is within the DHCP scope.

does that help?

Comment

Re: 2 nic cards..PLZ HELP ASAP

I have come to the conclusion it is a settings issue...we know the nic card works and the cables where tested this morning....

here is how it is...there is 2 networks...the one has the scope of 192.168.0.x
          on this one ther eis no internet and its Windows 200 server...there is 2 servers there. they have to talk to each other. for a certain program they run. how they are set up is the 2 servers are connect to a switch along with all 20 workstations...they can all talk to each other. The on server called the dialer...well that server has 2 nic cards. the one cable that goes into the switch and the other cable goes thru the floor and across to other side of building to the switch over here.

that network is 192.168.2.x....they all have internet over here and are working fine. the servers name is mainsrvr

on the dialer server I have mirrored everything just like the mainsrvr....so anyways...the settings are as follows

mainsrvr dialer
          ip 192.168.2.200 ip 192.168.2.249
          mask 255.255.255.0 mask 255.255.255.0
          gateway 192.168.2.1 gateway 192.168.2.1
          dns 192.168.2.200 dns 192.168.2.200
          192.168.2.1 192.168.2.1

when I ping from the dialer to the router I get a request time out with no hesitation...when I ping from the mainsrvr to the dialer same thing..

please can someone help me..me and another tech have come and looked at this....we r both confused...why its not working...I am now waiting for a third tach to come in

this needs to be done today...

Comment

What are you using to ping - hostname or IP? I expect you've tried IP without success. When you try the hostname, does it resolve?
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

u mean the server name....if I type in //mainsrvr....still times out

Comment

2 thoughts. Firstly, it's \\mainsrv, not //mainsrv to access the server's shares. Secondly, to ping a server, you would type ping mainsrv.

What happens if you ping the server? Both by hostname and by IP address. Does the hostname resolve, and do you get a response in either case.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

reguardless I get the same thing...request time out by ip or hostname

Comment

Re: 2 nic cards..PLZ HELP ASAP

Originally posted by leakie39 View Post
                    here is how it is...there is 2 networks...the one has the scope of 192.168.0.x
                    on this one ther eis no internet and its Windows 200 server...there is 2 servers there.

that network is 192.168.2.x....they all have internet over here and are working fine. the servers name is mainsrvr

mainsrvr dialer
                    dns 192.168.2.200 dns 192.168.2.200
                    192.168.2.1 192.168.2.1

when I ping from the dialer to the router I get a request time out with no hesitation...when I ping from the mainsrvr to the dialer same thing..
                    You are saying first server is 192.168.2.x and the other is 192.168.0.x. Both are in the same gateway also?

mainsrvr dialer
                    Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                    MCITP [AD]

Comment

Originally posted by leakie39 View Post
                      reguardless I get the same thing...request time out by ip or hostname
                      And does the hostname resolve.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

ready for this one...I was told that the cables all were tested....

well they were the switch was bad...I was starting to think I was losing my mind...

as soon as we changed the cable to another part of the switch it worked...

thanks for ur help anyways guys.....I was starting to doubt myself..I knew what I was doing..hard to describe in words...

but all is fixed

thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X