Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Windows 95 join Windows 2K3? Why Not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Windows 95 join Windows 2K3? Why Not?

Can Windows 95 join Windows 2K3? If the answer is no, why not? What's the barriers and difference of stories behind? Please advice and educate me on this client/server issue. Thank you. I'm new to Windows 2003, any great sites to recommend before i go for a MCSE training?

95 can go on an AD domain but you need to install the DSclient util from the 2000\2003 server CD.

Same with Windows 98 FE (SE has it built in.)

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

there are limitations in regards to the functional level of the domain.
      i had to look it up but here it is:

- The Windows Server 2003 domain is set at Windows 2000 mixed and either a PDC emulator or a Windows NT 4.0 BDC is available.
      - The Windows Server 2003 domain is set at Windows 2003 interim and either a PDC emulator or a Windows NT 4.0 BDC is available.
      Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

Windows 95 <> DNS/AD

Topper,
        So i shall run the .exe from 2003 CD?

Chirs,
        How can i verify my Domain Funtional Level? Any options to double check the settings/configs?

Thanks for replies, more reply are welcome. Your replies means a lot to me, being a beginner on Windows Server 2003.

Regards,

Heislyc

Comment

So i shall run the .exe from 2003 CD?
          Yes.

Comment

i suggest you read this microsoft kb article before you do anything.
            that should make some things clearer to you.
            remember to just look and NOT change the functional level

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;322692
            Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

Originally posted by chris
              There are limitations in regards to the functional level of the domain.
              I had to look it up but here it is:

- The Windows Server 2003 domain is set at Windows 2000 mixed and either a PDC emulator or a Windows NT 4.0 BDC is available.
              - The Windows Server 2003 domain is set at Windows 2003 interim and either a PDC emulator or a Windows NT 4.0 BDC is available.
              Did you mean only the above configs could allow Windows 95/Windows 98 FE to join the AD Domain? Because i've verified that i'm setting it in Windows 2000 Mixed Mode.

Comment

Domain functional level has no affect on client compatibility. Only DC compatibility.

topper

Comment

Working...
                X