Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

saving desktop settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • saving desktop settings

    hello all,

    we have 4 servers all running 2003, 2 of which are R2.
    on all of the servers except one, the desktop settings are saved.

    after some searches, i went to the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions\NoSaveSettings
    is set to 0 as it should be to save settings as i understood it.

    all of these servers are managed via remote desktop. only the one does not save the settings.

    anyone have ideas on how i can resolve this? it's not a huge problem, but definitely and inconvenience.

    thanks

  • #2
    Re: saving desktop settings

    Hello,

    What exactly do you mean by "Desktop settings are not saved"? do you mean that files saved on the desktop are not saved between sessions or desktop settings such as shrotcuts location and background settings?

    Does these Windows 2003 server act as Terminal Servers? if so, do you have Roaming profiles or folder redirection configured?

    Depending on your answers, the issue might be profile related or GPO related. maybe the problematic server is getting all GPO's or is placed in a different OU then the other servers...

    Thanks,
    Smart-X

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: saving desktop settings

      Originally posted by Smart-X View Post
      Hello,

      What exactly do you mean by "Desktop settings are not saved"? do you mean that files saved on the desktop are not saved between sessions or desktop settings such as shrotcuts location and background settings?

      Does these Windows 2003 server act as Terminal Servers? if so, do you have Roaming profiles or folder redirection configured?

      Depending on your answers, the issue might be profile related or GPO related. maybe the problematic server is getting all GPO's or is placed in a different OU then the other servers...

      Thanks,
      Smart-X
      thanks for responding,
      Desktop settings: as placing the clock in system tray, task bar size, etc. same user on all other 2003 servers works just fine

      terminal servers: not configured.

      servers are all in the same OU. i was thinking a GPO issue, but found nothing obvious

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: saving desktop settings

        These settings are very hard to track. If I remmember correctly, they are stored as binary data under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Streams\Desktop.
        But the thing is that once you change them, they are not flashed to the registry immediatly, but remain in RAM until you log off.

        Does it happen to a single user on that server and other users on the same server are working fine?

        Or it happens for all users on this server?

        If it only happen to one user, then the profile of this user on the server might be corrupted, which is not a big deal. Simply log in using another user, delete the profile (or copy it from a different server) and log on again.

        If it happens to all users on this server, then a further investigation is required....


        Post back and tell us what you found.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: saving desktop settings

          Originally posted by Smart-X View Post
          These settings are very hard to track. If I remmember correctly, they are stored as binary data under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Streams\Desktop.
          But the thing is that once you change them, they are not flashed to the registry immediatly, but remain in RAM until you log off.

          Does it happen to a single user on that server and other users on the same server are working fine?

          Or it happens for all users on this server?

          If it only happen to one user, then the profile of this user on the server might be corrupted, which is not a big deal. Simply log in using another user, delete the profile (or copy it from a different server) and log on again.

          If it happens to all users on this server, then a further investigation is required....


          Post back and tell us what you found.

          yeah, it does happen to all users on this server...

          i'll look at the registry entry you've posted and see what i can see there.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: saving desktop settings

            If it happens for all users on this machine it must be something else.
            Do you have any errors in the event log?
            Does other desktop settings such as screen saver or desktop background saved correctly?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: saving desktop settings

              Originally posted by Smart-X View Post
              If it happens for all users on this machine it must be something else.
              Do you have any errors in the event log?
              Does other desktop settings such as screen saver or desktop background saved correctly?
              haven't had much time to look into this more - so the responses are a bit delayed

              ok, tried to set an image as desktop background and - no joy.


              i'm thinking a permissions issue in documents and settings?

              event log: nothing i can find that indicates anything wrong...


              ok, ok... while writing this, i found it - i think:
              i did a group policy results on the affected server and another non-affected server

              on the affected server, there are settings enabled for not saving the desktop under user configuration - ** local group policy **

              local group policy - DOH!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: saving desktop settings

                ok, so others may understand better how i resolved:


                start->run->gpedit.msc
                user confguration->administrative templates->desktop->don't save settings on exit

                this was "enabled" and i changed it to "not configured"

                thank you smart-x for leading me in the right direction!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: saving desktop settings

                  Excelent!

                  Next time, when you suspect it's GPO, run rsop.msc on the "suspected" server. It would give you all GP related settings and the GPO they came from.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X