Network load balancing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network load balancing

Hi. I'm an OLD school UNIX guy trying to fake it as an AD administrator. I have a new Windows 2K3 SP2 server with 2 gigabit NICS. it is a member server of the AD. Its final role will be TS with Citrix XenApp 5. My question is this: can I have W2K3 balance the network traffic across the 2 NIC's with out any additional software/hardware? all the resources I've seen deal with load balancing between multiple servers, what I want to do is balance between multiple nics on the same subnet on a single server. is that possible?

Thanks.
    Dave

Re: Network load balancing

And what use has that?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

well, that was my next question: is it even worth the effort? I was thinking maybe if I had them balanced and one went out then I still have no downtime. now I'm thinking maybe easier to just have one nic disabled and if the active one bites it, then just assign the disabled one its IP info and press on. that could mean getting up at the crack of midnight and driving to the office though. this server will be providing remote access to medical records so the no downtime looks real good from my POV. thoughts? suggestions? if there is an easier way I'm all for it.

would it be better to set up duplicate boxes and have the citrix app handle failover? I have 3 identical blades to play with. ecah has dual quadcore processors, 4gram, 2 75gHD(raid1) and dual 2port gigabit nics. apps and data will be located on an iSCSI SAN on a seperate VLAN. am I making this harder than it really is?
      Last edited by [email protected]; 8th January 2009, 16:20. Reason: added thought

Comment

For the purpose you stated in your second post: You don't need NIC load balancing, you need NIC teaming. If your NIC supports teaming then you can create a team with the two of them, if one fails the other takes over automatically.

Comment

I've to agree with Joeqwerty.
          But how often have you seen a nic failing?
          And how bad is it to quickly enable the other nic, change the ipadress and your down?
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Teaming. wonderful! does exactly what I need it to do. thanks for the point in the right direction. once I found the broadcom utility, the team was simple to setup, got iis loaded, ts role functioning, loaded the citrix app, hit the citrix web console, unplugged one nic, and was still able to access the citrix web console. woo hoo! I'm a happy camper. now to set up another box just like it and then I'll have citrix balance the romote access across the 2 boxes. thanks guys.

Dumber, True, but.. you know Murphy's Law.. when it does go out it will be while a Dr has a patient on the table with their chest open doing a triple bypass and *poof* now he can't see the CT Images he needs to finish the surgery... ok.. that's a litte over dramatic.. but that's the way the dr's here think, so I have to appese them to keep my job.

Comment

Alternate option - in case someone cannot use the software you describe..

Simply give the 2nd IP a different IP address and if the problem occurs remote into the 2nd NIC, change/disable the 1st NIC and then change the 2nd NIC to have the 1st properties.

No driving, just a have to do the steps right

Hobie

Comment

I do not advise (and nor does Microsoft) connecting two network adapters on a machine to the same network.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
                X