reconnect to domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reconnect to domain

is there a way from the server side to reconnect xp workstations to the domain.

here is the scenario

got up the new dc, dns, dhcp enabled. added old and same users on the new dc.
    clients are getting the right ip/dns/gateway, etc using their xp local accounts.
    unfortunately, they cant log to the domain using their domain accounts. for it to work, i have to reconnect the xp client pc to the domain (system properties, computer name, change, domain name). The domain name is same as the old dc

question:

is there an easier way to reconnect the PC to the domain without going through my process?

Re: reconnect to domain

It sounds like you have created a new domain, rather than joining the new server to the old domain and having it replicate the users accross?

If that is the case, then you cannot "reconnect" the machines, as the old domain doesn't exist anymore. You will have to manually join the machines to the new domain.

Presumably if you did create a new domain from scratch, then either you had some problem with the old domain, or the DC failed?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

you're right.. i did create the new domain from scratch. i was hoping i there's an easier way because i used the same name at settings as the old dc

ty

Comment

Originally posted by kinalas View Post
        you're right.. i did create the new domain from scratch. i was hoping i there's an easier way because i used the same name at settings as the old dc

ty
        But in the eyes of the domain machine it is a new domain.

Think SIDS etc and your on the right track.

Nothing for it now other than getting all the machines in house and removing them from the old domain and adding them back on.

Comment

The easier way would have been to add the new server as a second DC of the original domain, and then demote the original server. As wullieb1 said, that ship has sailed. You're stuck with manually adding each machine to the new domain, sorry.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

lesson learned...

actually, the the original dc server went down... the mboard crashed. cant find a new but same board and model. i tried using other models but i wont boot. so i had to start from scratch

thanks to all

Comment

You could have restored from a backup to different hardware...
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Well I had 2 servers infected with viruses and I had spent a lot of time testing backups in order to build replica servers and work on it in stead of the production server itself.
                What I found is that the Microsoft backup is very efficient and I was able to build the replica in a couple of hours. (previousely, I was looking at expensive backup software)
                Yes it's too late for you if the server has already crashed, but it's a good lesson.

Since the incident of the viruses, I had backup The active directory of all my servers.

I had tested the restore on a different hardware and...... it works!

How to proceed:

Create an emergency recovery backup using Microsoft backup (accessories - backup) on an external Hard disk. (I assume that you backup your data drive every night)

When you get a new server, load a basic win 2003 server and update it. No need to install the AD or any option.

Boot from your floppy (created from the backup) and reload your backup without overwritting files. - If you overwrite files, HAL.DLL will crash your system because of different hardware.

I already tested the restore of 3 production servers and evrything is working well.

When you restore your AD, it will restore the workstations too.
                I am an IT supervisor working in an organization with 13,000 workstations, and I cannot see myself sending the IT technicians to reconnect hundred of computers to the server.

Anyway, it's amazing but Microsoft backup works great.

Comment

thank your and i will consider the suggestions of everyone. fortunately, i have about 50 pcs only connected to the domain.

Comment

Working...
                  X