Software distribution how?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software distribution how?

Hello, i want to install software on all my computers into domain at same time and remotely. (antivirus, office and some other stuff)

Please tell me witch is the best way to do that.

Thanks.

Re: Software distribution how?

Your antivirus most likely has a feature allowing you to push it out to domain clients from its management console.

As for Office, there's plenty of bedtime reading for you over at Google http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=net...crosoft+office

As for other stuff, deploying via Group Policy requires you to have an MSI of the product. If you don't, then either create one, or use a startup script to have the installer run on your clients.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Depends on the software. Office is probably best installed locally, or bundled as part of a WDS image given it's size. AV and small apps are easily deployed by GPO from a network share, simply
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Depends upon your environment; as you've given no information at all, I'm assuming you have Windows 3.11 for Workgroups in a Workgroup on a single subnet.

You need to write a batch file which accesses the install files shared from one of your workstations. Run a batch file on a central workstation which copies the "install" batch file to a shared folder on each machine. Get your users to navigate to the location on their machine where the batch file was placed and double-click it.

Alternatively, if your environment is different, please give us a little more information and we'll give you some idea about the best solution.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          Depends upon your environment; as you've given no information at all, I'm assuming you have Windows 3.11 for Workgroups in a Workgroup on a single subnet.
          No, he does mention a domain, so it must be Windows NT 3.51
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I post this topic in windows 2003 server section and i think this is implicit.

Ok i will try the solutions and will ask if i have any questions.

Thanks

Comment

You posted this topic in the forum entitled "Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003". It is therefore not implicit. From your last post, presumably you are running Windows 2003.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Lg911, could you please let us know what your network setup is. Also what is your client hardware and the numbers? This can have an impact on what may be the best deployment strategy.

Thanks.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

1 dc and exchange on 2003
                  1 file server on 2003
                  1 isa server on 2003.

40 deskotps on XP

Comment

Start here

http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...ftware+via+GPO

Comment

I agree - not a big enough setup for SCCM to be cost-effective. GPO should be simple enough to configure...

Tom
                      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                      X