No announcement yet.

Can't access file as path is too long.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't access file as path is too long.

I'm receiving a lot of calls from users stating they can not access their files. Upon investigation it is revealed that they users are creating paths longer than 256 characters on the file server and later trying to unsuccessfully open the file.

Is there a way to stop this?

Win2K3 SP2 server & WinXP SP2 workstations.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Can't access file as path is too long.

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
    I'm receiving a lot of calls from users stating they can not access their files. Upon investigation it is revealed that they users are creating paths longer than 256 characters on the file server and later trying to unsuccessfully open the file.

Is there a way to stop this?

Win2K3 SP2 server & WinXP SP2 workstations.
    I know of no way stop them from creating paths that long but if they/you have a path longer than the 260 char path+filename limit you can use an escape charater to tell Windows to not parse the path.

It would look something like the following:
    Code:
    \\?\C:\Folder\Folder2\Folder3\Filename.doc
    or
    \\?\UNC\server\share\folder\folder1\folder2\filename.doc
    Read this MSDN article's section on "Maximum Path Length" if you have questions... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx
    Last edited by ahinson; 7th January 2009, 04:41.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Not much you can do other then renaming.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177665/

Comment

to temporarily gain access to a file you can share a folder somewhere down the directory tree which is closer to the file than they normally map; that way you can shorten the pathname to the file by mapping a drive to the lower share.

However, I STRONGLY recommend renaming the long folder and file names to something more sensible, and moving folders with extremely long pathnames further up the directory tree.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Try the Long Path Tool. Very Special Tool

Comment

Working...
          X