X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC not registering in DNS

greetings!

got a new dc server, installed dns, dhcp

dhcp working fine, reconnected all clients (xps, windows 2003 (member server) ) to the new dc.

problems:

1. why are my clients not registering in the forward lookup zones/reverse lookup zones.

2. on my member server, why cant i see domain users when i share a folder (permissions/security)

help

Re: PC not registering in DNS

1. In order for the machines to register in dns they must receive an IP from your dhcp server. Also, you need to make sure that the dhcp is configured to allow updates to dns. The screenshot is to show where to configure it not what you should set yours to.

2. What do you mean by see?
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks for the reply.

on no 2. (this is on the windows 2003 member server)

there is a folder on that server that needs to be shared. so i have to modify its permission/security option so that i can add domain users

unfortunately, if a click on add (it asks for the domain admin user/password though), then add a domain user... it says "name not found"....

it tried to click on Check Name.. but same result..

i already reconnected the member server to the domain

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson View Post
        Also, you need to make sure that the dhcp is configured to allow updates to dns
        And that the DNS zone is configured to accept dynamic updates, it's up to you whether you allow insecure or require secure updates.

Originally posted by kinalas View Post
        unfortunately, if a click on add (it asks for the domain admin user/password though), then add a domain user... it says "name not found"....

it tried to click on Check Name.. but same result
        Try dcdiag - see if there are any problems highlighted with your AD.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

here's what i got after dcdiag on the dc

the host d16xxxxxxxxx.msdcs.domainname could not be resolved to an IP addrs check dns server, dhcp, server name etc.
          although the Guid DNS name (d1163xxxxxxxx.msdcs.domainname) couldn;t be resolved, the server name (serv1.domainaname) resolved to the IP addrs (192.168.0.2) and was pingable, Check that the IP addrs is registered correcty with the DNS server

........................ serv1 failed test connectivity

testing server: default-first-site-name\serv1
          skipping all test bec server serv1 is not responding to directory service request

but all partition test passed

help

Comment

Originally posted by kinalas View Post
            here's what i got after dcdiag on the dc

the host d16xxxxxxxxx.msdcs.domainname could not be resolved to an IP addrs check dns server, dhcp, server name etc.
            although the Guid DNS name (d1163xxxxxxxx.msdcs.domainname) couldn;t be resolved, the server name (serv1.domainaname) resolved to the IP addrs (192.168.0.2) and was pingable, Check that the IP addrs is registered correcty with the DNS server

........................ serv1 failed test connectivity

testing server: default-first-site-name\serv1
            skipping all test bec server serv1 is not responding to directory service request

but all partition test passed

help
            Try the following:

Originally posted by http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4445363&postcount=4
            Point the server to itself for DNS. Make sure that the DNS zone allows dynamic updates. Stop the netlogon service then open a command prompt. At the
            command prompt type "ipconfig /flushdns" and then "ipconfig /registerdns". Start the netlogon service again. In the forward lookup zone for your AD, check in
            the _msdcs.domain.local zone for the existance of a cname record by the name a6e1e747-5f44-451b-94ed-26aff4a954e7. It should be there
            now. The data portion of this record should show the name of one of you DCs.
            Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks a lot ahinson... that solved the error..

by the way, what caused the error if may i know?

i will be posting another error hope you help as always

Comment

The server wasn't self registering in dns. Probably because it wasn't using it's own dns server - which it needs to use so it can at least once register itself. Once it does, the records are created.
                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                X